Cambodia - Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
March 8th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Having returned to Phnom Penh after a 4 week stay in the Cambodian forest, myself and some of the group I had met on the trip took a bus up to Siem Reap. It was a 6 hour journey on a rather pleasant air conditioned coach arranged by our guesthouse. When we got there we got some tuk tuks to take us to the guesthouse of our choice. Unfortunately they had no available rooms so we asked the drivers to take us to a cheap place not too far away from the centre. We stayed at the Bakong Lodge. Clean rooms with air conditioning with helpful staff who dropped the price for us when we were unsure of looking elsewhere.
For food in Siem Reap I would definately recommend visiting The Butterflies Garden Restaurant. It's a community-benefit restaurant in a butterfly garden which gives large donations and support to local charities and communities. I never had a meal there but they do have amazing ice cream and sorbets :D However, if you are a steak lover like myself, visit the Red Piano. For $5 i had the biggest, bestest steak i have ever eaten. They also do good breakfast meals.
For nightlife I would recommend Angkor What? and The Temple Bar. Angkor What? is backpackers place with writing all over the walls, pool tables and a great atmosphere. The Temple Bar is far larger with an assortment of cocktails, pool tables and decorated like the temples of Angkor. However, stay there late into the evening and don't assume that pretty girl across the room is a girl :P
There aren't a great deal of places to visit in Siem Reap as it is used more to get to the temples of Angkor. However there are a few temples and a museum. You can also get a reasonably long tuk tuk ride out of town to the Landmine museum. There isn't much there but proceeds go to fund the removal of landmines across the country. Which you will learn is worthwhile as you see the number of victims throughout your stay.
I'd definately recommend Siem Reap. Bar Street is the place to be. It is shut off to traffic at night so its reasonably safe to get so drunk you can barely talk, but do watch out. Although everyone in Cambodia may be friendly, they might not be your friend.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb