Cambodia - Ancient Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
March 9th 2009
Published: March 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

If you are visiting Cambodia, a trip to the temples of Angkor is a MUST!!
A one day pass for foreign nationals costs $20 (in 2007). This is all the time I needed to see all the temples, though some people like to spend up to 5 days enjoying them. What we did was go to the temples at 5pm, the one day pass covers you from 5pm one day and the whole of the next day as you cannot spend too long there. This was enough time to enjoy Angkor Wat, the largest religious temple in the world and watch the sunset behind it. Also going at this time avoids the crowds so Id highly recommend it.
The next day we left our guesthouse at 4am and climbed the Bakheng Hill inside the temple complex. On top of the hill is Phnom Bakheng (another temple). From here we watched the sunrise. You can also get a hot air balloon ride though tose of my group who did this said it wasn't worthit as it came down as the sun came up. If you go later on, you can get an elephant ride up the hill.
Next we moved onto the Bayon temple. This is one of my favourites. With giant stone faces looking out from all the towers, this is Khmer architecture at its best. Across from the Bayon is a food stop. Lots of little market style restaurants who all want your custom so just pick one and sit down. Don't bother looking at menus, they're all pretty much the same. You'll also get bombarded with children selling you things which all seem to cost $1. I recommend finding a fruit vendor. Usually a lady with a small cart or table with lots of pineapples and a cooler of drinks. She will cut it into 4 sticks of pineapple and put a cocktail stick in each one then into a small plastic bag for you to enjoy. With more exploration you can visit the Baphuon temple, although it doesn't look particularly spectacular, have a good explore particularly round the back as you will find some hidden archways in beautiful surroundings. Then visit the Phimeanakas which served as the king's temple. Walk down the long walkway and you will find the Terrace of Elephants and Terrace of the Leper King. Both are beautifully carved terraces.
If you've seen Tomb Raider or seen any pictures of this temple, it will probably be near the top of your to do list. The Ta Prohm Temple. This is an old temple taken over by plant life. Literally being crushed by massive fig and silk-cotton trees. It's a spectacle that must be seen.
Getting around the temples is best in a tuk tuk. The drivers know the good smaller temples and where to eat. For the whole day and the night before, it cost us $20 per tuk tuk. But this was a very good deal to expect it to cost you a little more. Taking tourists around the temples is the biggest income for tuk tuk drivers so they try and get as much as possible.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb