Temple Anyone?!!?!?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
October 6th 2008
Published: December 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

Ankor Wat at "sunrise"
Next stop in Cambodia.......Siem Reap!!

It's Temple Time baby!!!!

So after our nice relaxing (cough cough right then) bus journey through HELL to Phnom Penn we were happy to THINK we were flying to Siem Reap....WRONG!!
We had ANOTHER bus journey (6 hrs = ahhhh!) to Siem Reap! Squashed seats with double the amount of people allowed on the bus in 30 degree heat isn't on our top list of fun things to do but hey, its an experience right!! lol, i'm sure we will look back on this and laugh one day....when i can feel my ass again!! geez it hurts!!

Anyway.....Siem Reap!
WOW, what an amazing, wonderful city, full of what can only be described as the most breathtaking Temples in the world!
Much more western here, everyone speaks very good English and there is the backpackers region called, wait for it, Pub Street! Loads of bars etc at night to go to and a fantastic night market with lots of goodies to buy, excellent!!
But the real reason you are in Siem Reap is for the temples at Angkor Wat!
200 temples in the city of Angkor wat - unbelievable!
We cant even begin to describe how breathtaking they are!
We spent 2 days going round the top 10 (yes only 10 out of 200, you need like a month here to see them all). It was something out of this world to see, we are so greatful we had the opportunity to come here!
Although, after the first 3/4 they do start to look the same, but maybe thats from heat exhaustion considering you have to cover up everypart of your body through respect. I swear we all lost about a stone in weight through sweat......haha nice i know!!
You do get comletely hounded by the little Cambodian kids though, whose parents make them go out and sell tourist books etc.
You step off the bus and before you know it you got 15 kids surrounding you saying "lady, lady please buy, please buy". They follow you to each temple trying to sell, they are extremely smart kids but cant afford to go to school. It's a different world out here.
We even got up at 5AM to try catch the sunrise, hah yeh that didnt really happen but at least we tried!

You come to Siem Reap to see the temples and that's what we did - far too exhausted to even bother drinking at night, or if you do, you end up drunk after 2 glasses of wine (Juli)!! haha! We went to another bbq style restaurant where Rob tried Ostrich!!! mmmmmm!

We only had 3 days here, but it was brilliant! We even managed to bump into the bus boys (not german btw!! haha) from Vietnam here, travelling makes you realise just how small this world can be!!

You can imagine how many photos we took - we got a load of them, which are mainly on facebook! This site takes about a day to upload one but will get some on here soon we promise!!!

Lessons learned:
*Cambodian kids are really smart, but dont give in to those cute we looks
*Heatstroke + 2 glasses of wine = hammered!!!!
*The German bus boys are actually English!! lol!
*Ghekos think its funny to run across your headboard while your sleeping and scare the living shit out of you!! grrrrrrrr!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



11th December 2008

Fantastic write up as usual. I still say your talents are wasted. Take care luv Anne x
28th January 2009

What has happened to the blog. ? You were doing so well. Robyn you could have a go

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb