Day 2 of Angkor Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
October 23rd 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

For the second day of the temples we had to be proper tourists for once. So we didnt drink much the night before and rented bikes first thing in the morning. Angkor wat was only 6 km's out of town so it wasnt to bad getting there. We tried go to the land mine museum but couldnt find it. We headed to Angkor Thom which is inside a walled city and was pretty spectacular. Had a million people living there once. The Bayoun Temple has 216 heads(plus 1) carved in the towers. Then it was onto some other temples(which i forget the name of). It was brilliant to cycle around and go to 4 or 5 different spots. Melissa took a photo of some "cute kids" who immediately turned into shrewd business men who demanded 5 dollars(think i gave the equivalent of 12 cent!!). Also got to one of the temples and a police man started telling us the history of it. After a few mins i asked him will he ask for money and he said just a dollar. Told him to just a piss off!!!The cycling became tough late on as we done around 30Km in the heat. On the way back we passed the hospital and remebered the German guy telling us to give blood. There was a Dengue fever epidemic after the monsoon and loads of kids died. Never gave blood before(it was sterilised parents!!!!) and got a free can of coke and t-shirt, so we all won!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd October 2007

Meant to warn you about the bus conveniently breaking down and the kids asking for money for photos, oops! I think they deserve the money for managing to scam every Westerner!
25th October 2007

hey
ah we dont mind to much. the cambodian people are lovely and they did organise the taxi, so it was grand. Any craic??How life back in the apt. Sure drop us a mail

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb