Onto Cambodia and Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
October 23rd 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left our lovely beach abode early with an extra 5 or so pounds of sand in tow to get the ferry to the mainland for our "5 hour bus journey" to Siem Reap in Cambodia. After this we were driven to the border. Along the way we stopped and the bus company offered to sort our visa for us. They told us if we tried to sort our visa we would queue for hours longer and would hold up the rest of the bus. Too dumb and lazy to care of course they robbed us of about 16 euro extra knowing full well we wouldnt be returning. The only reason we had to wait when we got to the border was that there was 1 line and everyone who never had there "time saving" visa arranged was getting them on the spot. We felt stupid but at least there was another 6 of us in the same boat.

Got through and the difference is immediate. Tarmac to dirttrack, semi-wealthy to totally poor. Next our bus was due. We had read about this scam in the guide book. The bus is hours late and by the time you get to Siem Reap you will sleep anywhere, more specifically the over priced shite hole the bus driver brings you to. So next we hear word the bus has broke down. Great. But they were totally cool and within 2 hours the bus owner had 30 odd people in A/c Taxi's on the way to Siem Reap for free. The even got us a new taxi when i couldnt squeeze into a food laden one. Straight away found the cambodians really nice and ready for a joke. The taxi took 4 hours to get there on the worst road in existence(it says in the guide book Bangkok Airways bribe the Cambodian goverment so they wont build a proper road and keep the tourists flying to Siem Reap from Bangkok, and it shows!!!). Cant even describe it. We had a really nice german ex-pat to keep us company along the way though.So 4 hours later we were in Siem Reap. Our 5 hour journey became 14 hours.

Next day after staying up to watch the ruggers we basically decided we needed a rest day. So with our first bit of TV in a week took it easy. We did manage to go out and get pissed that night though. Siem Reap is really cool and built up. Loads of lovely buildings and great bars, we didnt expect it at all.

Next day we got up at the early hour of 1pm and said we had to get some of the temples in(worst backpackers ever!!). Went to Angkor Wat and expected to have no time at all. As usual we got it done in an hour. It was pretty cool though but we just cant see how someone could walk around for hours, it looks way better from a distance. Then we walked up a mountain for the sunset which had a brilliant temple but again got fed up after an hour and headed back. On the way down a Camdodian woman started hitting me and melissa in the arm for holding hands. It was funny for about the first 6 times!! She was doing it good spirit though, having a laugh. Good rest her soul if she done it to us in the middle of India!!! Not much happened really as you read but it did get a bit more interesting on the second day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb