Top 5....


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 28th 2007
Published: May 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, Sharon here
We enjoyed the sunrise at Angkor Wat this morning, worth the early start. This afternoon we're taking it easy, enjoying time by the pool and our last day in Siem Reap. Tomorrow we drive back to Phnom Penh (about 5 hrs) and fly to Hanoi for our last evening together.

We've captured a few of our Top 5 memories and wanted to share with you here....

MOST JOYOUS MOMENT
-Kathy: when a woman (who was the mother to be receiving the house) came up to me and asked if she could help
-Kevin/Sharon - when we arrived to the build site, and saw the children run across the field to greet us. We were so remote, and what a site it must have been for them to see 5 vans pull up and 27 white people (which many had never seen) walk into their village and within 10 minutes start building.
-Tina: Playing with the children at the build site. Also seeing the Juliana hotel back in Phnom Penh - it was like an oasis - after the long trip south and basic hotels all week.


MOST EMOTIONAL MOMENT
-Rob: seeing what the houses meant to the families
-Kevin: walking back from the last house we built
-Kathy: we had a little boy who sat in the middle of our house as we built, he simply sat there and we’d share smiles. We found out later that the boy could not walk (his dad had carried him up the stair so he could sit and be part of the action)
-Tina: arriving at the Golden Gate hotel in Phnom Penh for the first time, and when we completed all the houses
-Sharon: walking back to the vans when we were done with the houses, feeling as though we had simply swooped in, built, and wondering what the people in the village thought. Did some of the teenagers wish they were leaving with us??

FAVORITE MODE OF TRANSPORTATION
-Unanimous, the tuk tuk
-Kathy and Sharon also loved the moto bikes we drove along the coast in Kep

“HOLY HANNAH" MOMENTS
-Tina: The smell of the food section in the Russian Market, nauseating
-Kathy: The food section in the Kampot market, nauseating (do you see a trend?)
-Sharon: Live, full grown pigs being carried in a basked on the back of a motorbike
-Kevin: The actual story of the Toul Seng prison and how something like this could actual happen
-Rob: All modes of transportation and seeing what can be carried on top of a motorbike or van

As you can see, we've had a number of amazing experiences and each day brings something new. Last night we had a lovely dinner at the Blue Pumpkin (www.tbpumpkin.com) and we all enjoyed a treat of ice cream shakes. As you might expect, we have become quite mindful of what and where we eat, so the shakes were a welcome treat!!

We hope that you are all doing well and enjoying the long weekend!

Take care, Sharon

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb