Our stay in Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 13th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me and Laura in the Temple Bar Me and Laura in the Temple Bar Me and Laura in the Temple Bar

Me and Laura in the Temple Bar in Siem Reap!
Well we really enjoyed our stay in Siem Reap! It was a really nice place, we had a busy couple of days there as we wanted to see the Angkor Wat and also visit the Landmine museum. The Angkor Wat was great although god knows how why people buy 3 day passes as we only bought one and had seen enough! As much as we enjoyed seeing The big Angkor Wat and the temple which Tomb Raider was filmed once you have seen one Temple you have seen them all!!!! They were beutiful though and def worth a visit-totally amazing! The only thing which kind of puts a dampner on you visit is seeing the kids begging for you money which is so sad! On Thge Saturday night we decided to go out and have a party night so we headed out for dinner and to the busy streets with the lively pubs! We had a great night! Had few cocktails and really enjoyed ourselves plus we got to have a boggie at the end of the night-fab! On way back to gostel though we seen the most awful sights-the begger kids who really needed money, some carrying their baby sisters and brothers on their backs and some kids who had lost limbs, seriously heart breaking stuff, whats even more sad though is the fact thats these kids are sent by their parents to do this and if given money they do not get to keep it-it goes straight in to their parents pockets, so so sad. Nways, the next day we thought we would head to the Landmine Museum as it is such a big thing here in Cambodia, to this day there is still landmines all around so if backpacking you should always still to the well known routes. We headed off on what we can only call our trek (it turned in to a huge walk which we thought would never end lol) and eventually found it-it was basically a shack surrounded by mud but oh my god it was well worth the trek! It was amazing to see what these people have been through. One of the victims of a landmine offered to sow us around and tell his story to us, his name was Hak-a 19 year old boy. When he was 8 he was playing in a field with his younger brother and sister when he was caught in the explosion, he lost both his siblings and his leg, he counts himslef lucky to still be here-he is such a inspiration to us, such a nice guy-we were lucky to have met him. After buying some books off him we headed back in to town, the town is so nice, very polluted and full of people trying to sell anything basically but a really nice place, the people are so friendly its untrue. Our stay in Siem Reap came to a end the next day when we headed to Phnom Phen by bus.

Advertisement



13th May 2007

well it seems like your having fun, as long as your have your scam radar on lol well glad to know your having a good time, and I do read these lol
16th May 2007

Drunken Bums
Have you actually been sober at all to remember things x

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb