6. Ancient Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 3rd 2007
Published: April 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

6th entry...
Aly and I rose at 4.30 this morning and dutifully headed off to witness the sunrise at Angkor Watt. To our surprise when we arrived there we found that some other people had the same idea... funny that. It was as expected, a lovely experience. We actually had 3 sunrises...1 from the outer wall, the next closer up from the "reflection pond" and the 3rd from a spot that allowed the sun to rise over the middle stupa. After this we felt fully risen. One of the challenges in these location to try to "get the vibe" or come to terms with what one is actually witnessing. We discussed that the same sun had risen every day over this temple complex from the time that it was being built and it has witnessed the whole history of it, an amazing thought. I would love to go back in a time machine and have a few peeks at what was happening over the different centuries. Not sure if I would prefer that ability, or the ability to fly (without a plane)...a difficult choice. Anyhow, it really is quite amazing to be in the presence of such a thing.

Back to the human condition. I got quite cold under the aircon the other night and I have reacquainted myself with my old friend the "chest infection / bronchitis". It has been very, very, very hot and sweaty. You get into cold aircon, get cold, and then hot again etc...a bit much for the system. So, I am feeling quite wiped-out which makes these energy taxing journeys that much more "interesting". Regardless we will venture back out to the temples for the afternoon session and sunset.

Oh yeah...and another thing...Yesterday evening we went on a little tour through a place near our hotel that is set up to train 18 to 25 year old disadvantaged people from the villages in the various art forms such as painting on silk, wood carving, metal sculpture, weaving etc. etc. Unbelievable experience. These kids were so lovely and so talented. Aly and I were particularly moved by a group of deaf-mute girls who were learning the art of doing the silk based paintings...just so friendly, loving and generous it left us a tad emotional. This is a great initiative in response to the Pol Pot genocide days when he ordered the killing of all artisans, scholars, religious people, politicians, capitalists and anyone that he thought may not be brain-washed easily thus enabling them to fit in with his "dream" (nightmare). When one meets these Cambodian people it is totally impossible to imagine how a country can go through so much trauma and the people end up being so loving and gorgeous???? As an adjunct to that experience we went to a landmines museum (the day before international landmines awareness day coincidently) and was shown around by a young fellow who had the lower half of his left leg blown off when he was 5 years old. These mines, along with the ones that killed his siblings and both parents were planted by Pol Pot and his band of merry folk. Amazing how a beast like him could do such a thing and even more disturbing how he could brainwash and scare others to assist him.

We leave Cambodia and its lovely people in a recovery and rebuilding phase of their country and their lives. They are doing a great job but the process is very much still in its infancy and they need the help of the world to carry out such an enormous task. We wish them well.

Flight to Vientiane in Laos tomorrow, looking very much forward to it. Travelling from one fascinating place to another. I first tried to enter Laos in 1976 but it was closed at the time, it just took another 31 years to try again.

Will type again from Laos. Aly doing a great job with the photos, it does take a fair bit of time, patience and know-how. Fortunately Jessi put us on the right track with this whole blog thing. That's why baby-boomers have children isn't it?...to help with technology.

Laters...Aly and Trev XXXxxxXXXxxx











Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Can't take him anywhereCan't take him anywhere
Can't take him anywhere

Love that Tiger Beer.
Land Mines MuseumLand Mines Museum
Land Mines Museum

Holding a couple of different types of mines that were there. Sorry about the hat.
Artisans d'AngkorArtisans d'Angkor
Artisans d'Angkor

One of the lovely young women doing lacquer work


7th April 2007

ah how the serenity
wow every thing sounds very touching. nothing like travle to bring you back down to earth in an instant. aprreciate it and keep the stories rolling our way! oh by the way keep in mind the tree planting is on the 5th/6th/7th of may. and That One Guy is playing! woohoo!
10th April 2007

Go you good thing.
Keep going Trev,great to see your in your element once more your spiritual home.Enjoying the educational content. ps Manly win again,Johns retires due to neck injury sustained in training.Go the Maroons.
12th April 2007

these old folks and their travel blog
Hello 2nd parental unit! I think we will just miss each other in Vietnam, which is a shame, it really would have been a hoot to have one of the many beers of this country! We leave HoiAn tommorow - with an abundance of clothing in our packs. We stayed at Nhi Trung Hotel, nice rooms, cheap price and a little balcony for you to have a drink on at night. Nicer room $13. Anyho, next door to that there is a good tailor, Chic it is called - good stuff there, that reminds me, have to go pick up a dress! Great stories, makes me want to be back there, thanks for the detail Trev, and it is a shame about that cold. ahhh choooo xoxo
13th April 2007

Wonderful rugby league
Great to hear about Manly winning, sorry to hear about Johns retiring, a great loss to the game, probably the greatest player to have every play the game ( even better than Cliffy Lyons and Bobby Fulton!). Good to hear than you enjoy there bloggs, the entries should be up to date in the next few days as we have fined tuned the photo entries at last. See you all in a couple of weeks (not that I am in a hurry, just loving the travelling).
16th April 2007

hey ma did you get that scarf at the landmines museum? cos that's where i bought the ones i gave to paul and luchiano. you both look so relaxed and happy in the photos, what a great break. enjoy your last week over there. love from the recently permanent inhabitants of your sutdy, jessi and roxy. x

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb