5. Northern Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
April 2nd 2007
Published: April 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

5th entry...
Travelled up from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap in a comfy aircon bus that had an endless serving of mushy Cambodian karaoke music and videos playing very loudly (until I asked the travel assistant to turn it down please....accompanied with play-acting that my ear drums were being blown out...he got the message anyhow). I received open support for that intervention from other foreign travellers who were also experiencing a rapid (and possible permanent) decline in their hearing potenial. We were met at the bus stop (as planned) by a tuk-tuk driver for the trip to the hotel. We experienced the usual "sorry the other hotel is full but you can stay in this one...this is my friends hotel'' however, in this instance it was true. We went to the other hotel and checked out the story. Decided to stay 2 nights in each.

The next day we went out to the Ankor Wat temple area and spent a wonderous albeit extremely hot morning roaming around the various sites. Whilst overcoming the heat and the tourists (which included us of course) with their endless camera action one occasionally experienced moments of realisation as to the grandiosity, historical and spiritual significance, as well as the shear beauty of these amazing structures. And yes, as typical people who suffer from the occasional moments of random memory clarity. We also shared some time considering how Harrison Ford and/or Angelina Jollie may look if they came running out from behind the temple structures. Aly and I were going to act out some potential scenerios but I dont have the scar on my chin and Aly hasn't got the lips.

Seriously though these person-made creations do go down in the same realm as the Sri Meenashi temple in Madurai in Tamil Nadu and the Taj Mahal of Nothern India. I have mixed feelings making comparisons, probably shouldn't really, it just happens with people doesn't it ? Fortunately my mind didn't lead me to decide which was the better of the buildings, this would be a really pointless exercise. All of these ''wonders of the world'' are classic examples of what heights person-kind can achieve in a positive sense which is really a great relief after experiencing the Killings Fields and S-21 in Phnom Penh both of which bear witness to surely one of the (many) greatest human atrocites in history.

Rest
Young boy making musicYoung boy making musicYoung boy making music

These lovely traditional instuments are around the place in readiness for various concerts. This little boy was just playing around, really, but it sounded lovely.
day tomorrow, we will probably have to endure the rigours of a full body massage each and then off to the Angkor Wat temples again the next day....it is such a privilege being able to travel like this...I know that it sounds a little cliche but we do have the occasional pangs of guilt knowing that half of the worlds population can't afford to get enough to eat today (or tomorrow). Laters, Aly and Trev.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Trees ruleTrees rule
Trees rule

Remember this from Jessi's blog? The enormous tree roots are growing right into the ruins of the temple. A good little study in impermanence. Or something.


4th April 2007

great to hear about your travels
Hi Aly and Trev, Thanks for sharing your experiences and the great photos. Monique and Graham
4th April 2007

Hiya
Great reading keep up the good work I am enjoying being transported from the Oz office straight to the smells and sights of Asia love jen
7th April 2007

i dunno dad.. i think you shoudlve acted out the action movie. strangely enough you do have a slight resemblance with harrison.

Tot: 0.327s; Tpl: 0.225s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb