Siem Reap - Phnom Bakheng, Baphoun, Sras Srang, & Thommanom


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
December 15th 2006
Published: February 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phnom Bakheng constructed in late 9th to early 10th century as a Hindu temple to the god Shiva. This was the first major temple to be built in the area, marking the move of the Khmer empire from Roluos to Angkor. The foundation is unusual as it is carved from the existing rock, which is unlike the others that use outside rocks and earth fill. This is a common spot for sunset viewing so it was overcrowded with tourists. It was a nice end to a great day of touring temples. We stayed a bit after sunset seeing if the neon lights would light up Angkor Wat. With it being close to China we thought they might follow the same thought process of “it may be beautiful but neon can make it better” that we experienced in China. We were surprised, since we noticed light canisters all over Angkor Wat during our visit there, and happy that it did not happen.

Baphoun was constructed mid 11th century as a Hindu temple. The ruins are mostly collapsed and not open to the public. The elephant terrace was to the right of it.

Sras Srang was constructed in mid 10th century and remodeled in late 12th century. It was built as a baray, which is a water reservoir where dikes were built up to retain water. On an island in the middle was a Buddhist temple but the ruins can only be seen when the water level is low. It was not so we could only view the lake from a platform, or dock area, with carvings and statues.

Thommanon was constructed in late 11th to early 12th century as a Hindu temple. It is small and in very good condition. This is mostly due to a 1960’s restoration project by archaeologists. It used very little wood as beams during the initial construction allowing for longer preservation.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb