Day 53: Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap
May 20th 2018
Published: May 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

There is such beauty and unspoken magic roping around Siem Reap. Of course, Siem Reap is home to the temple complex, Angkor Wat; considered to be the most impressive monument in the world. Angkor Wat. It costs $37 for a day ticket to see Angkor Wat. A useful tip is to get your ticket after 5pm on the day before so you’re able to see it for sunset and have the full next day. We hired a tuk tuk for the day for $30 for both days which is expensive but our driver Peter was fantastic and gave us a full tour and it’s worth the money.
Angkor Wat complex covers the size of a small city, littered with a variety of stunning religious sculptures and architecture. The structures date back to the 11th century (close to 1000 years old!!) which is shown through the extensive damage and erosion to walls and stones. However the astonishing intricate detail carved into the walls still remain; beautiful patterns and illustrations of Buddha and Vishnu. The main temple in Angkor Wat is Hindu, whilst the other 2 main temples are Hindu and Buddhist culture combined. It’s true to say that I have never felt peace like it, sitting with monks praying to a large statue of Buddha with the smell of burning incense in the air. What a tranquil life to live.
This day was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. We also loved Siem Reap town itself with its buzzy Pub Street and endless night markets to get all your fake goods.
It’s already come the end of our time in Cambodia and it’s a given that we’ve not had long enough in this fascinating country. However we are beyond excited to begin our journey around the Thai islands.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb