Siem Reap (or, nearly having more encounters with cambodian medics)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Siem Reap » Knar
July 17th 2010
Published: July 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Well, we have made it to our last stop! We arrived in Siem Reap on thursday and went to see the temples at Angkor the following day. We had a lovely morning, despite the sweltering heat climbing over things we were probably not supposed to climbing on and pretending we were in tomb raider. However, when we were actually behaving sensibly, we were walking along the side of a temple and Hannah was looking at her feet to make sure she didnt lose her footing when she banged her head on a low arch (and it must of been very low for it to catch such a small persons head!). All Jess heard from behind her was a scrambling noise when she turned round to see Hannah falling off the edge of the temple. Cue a dramatic eastenders style scream of 'Haaaannnaaahhh', followed by shouts of 'im ok im ok im not dead' from below. Luckily, there was a ledge at the side of where we were walking which saved her from a very very nasty fall. So she is currently nursing a sore head, and legs, but is ok and after a few tears and some painkillers she was ready to explore the rest of the temples. The Angkor complex is huge, so we could only fit in 5 in one day but we really enjoyed it. Angkor Wat is the most famous and it was very impressive but that was our least favourite, we preferred the ones that were less intact with tree roots seemingly knocking everything over. (These were the most tomb raider esque ones, and provided the best games and photo opportunities!) Jess' family will probably know how much she loved castles as a kid, so can imagine how much fun the temples were without the health and safety rules that english heritage put in to stop you going up crumbling stairways! (it was these sorts of comments that caused hannah to observe 'this is why you shouldn't have only children. your wierd', which Jess felt was slightly unfair!)

Today we have done nothing, because we are well and truly broke. We went to the tourist information office and asked them what we could do for free, which got us some blank looks. So we had a wander round and got some ice cream for lunch. For our lunch at KL airport tomorrow we have our staple no money food of bread and tomatoes (Jess swears that she never wants to see a baguette again when she gets home, whereas Hannah is quite enjoying them). We are spending tomorrow at the airport, and our hotel is conveniently located in the car park so we are nearby to get to our flight to England on monday morning! Neither of us can believe it's over after 5 amazing weeks, and we are going to miss each other lots after spending 24 hours a day together! We are both however, looking forward to life without a strict budget, some home cooked food (Hannah's been sending her requests in for a week!) and oddly, a trip to tescos (we've missed english supermarkets!). Asia has been Hot, noisy and tiring but we love it, and we are going to miss it very very much.

This will be our last entry from Asia, but we are both going to put some pictures on when we get home because we haven't managed to very much here, so you will hear from us again!
Lots of love and we'll see everyone soon! x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb