Ta Prohm


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
July 25th 2015
Published: August 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Poetic justice. The Buddhist temple once conquered the jungle. Now the jungle is taking it back.

Indiana jones or Tomb raider is how many describe this temple, which makes sense in terms of its exciting, mysterious, re-discovered qualities. But it's far more poetic and quietly moving than that. The mighty strength of the enormous trees, growing through and around the even stronger walls is exquisite!

It is clearly a difficult balance between restoration, maintenance and nature. This place is shady and hung with moss and lichen, even the stone seems green lit, nature clearly is taking it back, crumbling the walls. But there's a need for humans to maintain their work, to retain its beauty, it's significance and they're doing a wonderful subtle job of it.

We loved ta prohm, the carvings and temple as always were impressive, but the addition of enormous trees begins to give a picture of the age and enormity of the task. Like a living scale or measure. The changed light and temperature were lovely too.

Elsie was less impressed, she was fidgety, hot and cranky. As we pushed through, gathering speed, I stopped to feed her, she opened her mouth up to scream at me to hurry up and there were two new little teeth just pushing through, one so fresh it was bleeding. Poor baby... It was clearly time to go home, she's an amazing girl that's 4 teeth this trip and only broken sleep for comfort feeds.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb