Angkor Temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
August 7th 2006
Published: August 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Have always assumed Angkor Wat refers to the group of temples somewhere in Cambodia. Only to realise that it is actually the name of only one, and the most famous one, among the many temples built over the last few hundred years.

Was really impressed by Angkor Wat our first visit. Went to catch the sunset at Angkor Wat, really beautiful. The sun rays luminated the towers, giving it an orange glow. Tried to climb up to the top of the towers to get a better view of the sunset, was quite overwhelmed with their high and narrow steps at first esp with the strong wind blowing. Hmmmm..... all I can think of is how do I get down later?! But subsequently, we were so used to climbing these steps after visit the many many temples over the 2 days.

As a whole, I did enjoy the temples. It's kinda "temple-overdosed" after 5 temples in a day but returning to the temples on the next day gives me a totally new and refreshed perspective in visiting the temples again. Every temple has its own characteristics, some have tall towers, some are falling apart, some have roots growing over the
Children in AngkorChildren in AngkorChildren in Angkor

Postcards 10 for $1, buy for me buy for me...
temples and almost all with exquisite sculptures.

Another major "highlight" at the Angkor temples was being pestered again and again at the temples by children selling braclets, books and postcards. Though they are insistent in selling, but they're not agressive. Those little children, some as young as 3 - 4 years old, could speak English very well just by learning from tourists. Buy something from one and the other one will sulk cos you didn't get from her. One little girl even sobbed though we already gave her sweets to pacify her. Kinda heartwrenching.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Way downWay down
Way down

They installed a handlebar to assist people to go down the steep steps


Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 77; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb