3rd day


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
April 7th 2010
Published: April 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Efficiency. The bus left the hotel at exactly 7.30. Lisa was last out of the hotel but she made it. She is rarely on time for anything so I guess this was a fair effort for her. Took about 30 min to get to the freeway then on the freeway pretty well to the border. Not a lot occurred today so far, we basically set in a bus from 7.30 to 4.30. There were a number of breaks but nothing to mention. I was fairly under whelmed by the Cambodian cuisine on my firs try and I hope it was just me picking the wrong dish. It was some beef in a totally tasless sauce.

Tonight we head out on the town to go for a tuk tuk ride around the city and then dinner with some traditional Cambodian dancers .

Just got back. This town, Siem Reap is totally awesome. It feels like an Asian version of a European small town. The cafés and restaurants are all very cool with their own decor and feel. We went to a restaurant that had some traditional Khmer dancing and while it was interesting the whole traditional Asian music thing leaves me a bit cold. A lot of monotonous scraping on some fairly simple string instruments and also banging on drums and bells. Ok for few minutes but overall not very entertaining if you have to listen to it for over an hour. The food was OK but again a bit bland compared to the Thai food.

The tuk tuks here are different to Thailand. Here they are simply a motorbike with a trailer attached that has some seats in it. There is a night market here with some cool things to buy. I got myself a fake Rolex for a few bucks. It looks very believable and the guy assured me it was waterproof.

Everyone here is so young. Apparently something like 70% of the population is under 30-35. They are all so young. Its kind of freaky thinking that it is all these relatively young people are running things. The recent history of the country is such an awful tragedy.

My initial thoughts have been confirmed. It is a much poorer country than Thailand and it needs a lot of foreign help to make things happen here.

Lisa is already sleeping and it is quarter past 11 so I will leave it at this. We are off to the Ankor complex tomorrow at 8.30.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb