Day 2


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
March 17th 2010
Published: March 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Did what is known as the ‘Grand Tour’ today. Started at 7:30AM after our complementary breakfast at the hotel, tuk-tuk picked us up and took us to the first of 5 temple ruins on our list today. The morning air was fresh and cool, and we were really looking forward to this. Today’s tuk-tuk driver went by the name of Teow which sounds a bit like the Thai word for journey or vacation, Shea thought it was just right!
I’ll let the pictures do the talking, we must have taken close to a hundred pictures. Made some new friends, a couple staying at the same hotel, they recognized the key fob hanging on my bag. This is one aspect of our holiday that Shea is finding quaint and interesting. She noticed that fellow travelers are often friendly and willing to chat.
She also noticed that Cambodia is cleaner than Thailand (generally speaking) people use the trash cans more, even in Angkor park and around the ruins, there is cleaning and sweeping going on all the time. The other thing she noticed was that the Cambodians we have encountered so far spoke better English and were friendly and polite. I have to say I totally agree with her.


We came back to the hotel for lunch, the last two temples Shea found a bit tedious as they were pretty much the same and it was starting to get really HOT. A quick lunch and a refreshing dip in the pool, a short nap (are we taking it easy or what!?!) and we were off to the tethered helium balloon ride. At $15 each for a 10 min flight, it wasn’t cheap but we just had to do it. I was hoping to catch the sunset but my timing was off by about 10 min! We were too early, it was good fun anyway.

We dropped by Angkor again to take some late evening snaps and then headed back to the hotel. We wanted to try the local noodles but unfortunately were a bit too late, ended with fried rice with fermented sausages (me) and Shea had fried egg noodles with chicken, nothing to write about, Shea’s was especially bland. Dropped by a local supermarket and bought stuff foe tomorrow’s excursion, Shea managed to pick up a Korean ‘cornetto’ while I continued to add to my tastings of Cambodian beers. I’ll post more pics tomorrow, it’s late and internet is slow.

Advertisement



21st March 2010

Good writing
I enjoyed reading your summary of Day 2 :) Keep writing!
28th March 2010

Heart attack material?
I'd like to go that balloon ride, but heights don't do lots for me.

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb