Temples of Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 4th 2010
Published: March 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

The main reason for being in Siem Reap (besides the fact it cost us less to come via here to south Cambodia then it would have to go straight along the coast we were already on) was to to visit the temples oif Angkor. We hired the worlds worst tuk tuk and set off to discover the eigth wonder of the world.

The old saying of a picture says a thousand words is very apt here so i'll leave this short and sweet. We started the day by heading to Angkor Wat which is the symbol of Cambodia, it's on the flag, the beer, the t-shirts, in fact its on pretty much everything. It's no suprise the Cambodians treasure this as with such a turbulent recent history that they take such pride in when their forefathers of the Khemer nation ruled most of the region.

We then visited the city of Angkor, which in its prime had a population of over a million which doesn't sound that impressive but when you consider this was when London had less then 50,000 people living there it shows how important a place in history it was. The temple that most impressed me was in these city walls, the Bayon temple was made of 216 faces all staring straight at you wherever you went. I imagine at night in the moonlight this would be quite a sight.

We also visited the Ta Prohm temple which the locals refer to as the Tomb Raider temple as it wa sused as a location in the the movie. This temple had become overgrown with huge trees climbing all over it as you can see from the photos.

We made a last stop at a temple which name i never got so we could watch the sunset, unfortunately the sun was not to impressive on the day and that brough to an end a long and tiring day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb