Following in the footsteps of the Gods


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
March 13th 2006
Published: March 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise at Angkor WatSunrise at Angkor WatSunrise at Angkor Wat

It started slowly, but then was the most beautiful sunrise, and well worth the 4am wake up call.
Our three days at the Angkor temples were so mindblowing I don't know where to start. I am also recovering from a bout of Cambodia-Belly and this is my first attempt out of bed in a while so forgive me if this entry is a little all over the place.

I can't really describe Angkor Wat or the other temples of the complex, they are bigger in size and their carvings more intricate and amazing than I ever could have imagined. No photos really do the place justice, it is just fantastic.

Personal highlights include the obligatory sunrise over Angkor Wat which was one of the more beautiful I think I've seen, perhaps heightened by the trip through the trees in our tuktuk in the darkness which felt like something straight out of a Hollywood movie.

Ta Prohm was another favourite - climbing between the roots of the trees that simultaneously destroy and hold together the temple was great fun, though I don't think I'm quite ready to be the next Lara Croft.

The huge faces that adorn the Bayon are absoltuely stunning and give the impression that you are being watched - reinforced by the demonic statues that line the approach via the South Gate.

We also enjoyed Ta Keo, a temple not often written about in the guides. It's super steep and relatively undecorated but its size just blew us away. It was neat to sit on the top, legs dangling over the edge, and catch one of the few afternoon breezes.

Having three days to explore meant that we were able to spend a good amount of time each temple and return to those which were our favourites on our last morning. It was great to just be able to wander almost aimlessly and to sit, soaking up the atmosphere (when not surrounded by tour groups) and not be rushed like you are so often at sights such as these.

It was a totally amazing experience.

That and there were monkeys 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb