Loving Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
February 16th 2006
Published: February 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Angkor WatAngkor WatAngkor Wat

The biggest of the temples.
We have spent a week in Cambodia and loved it. The people here are just so lovely and friendly. The country is much cleaner than Vietnam which just had litter everywhere. Spent 2 days in the Capital, Phenom Penn. We hired tuk tuks who took us to the Khymer Rouge prison ( or tortue rooms) and the killing fields. Just horrific. Didnt take any photos as didnt seem right. We saw the monument of the dead which actually houses the skulls and bones dug up from the mass graves. You cant really explain the place in words. I dont think we spoke while we were there! After we went to the Royal Palace which is very grand. A real contrast to the extremely poor city.
We then moved up to Siem Reap where we have spent 3 days visiting all the temples. We had a great group of drivers who made it fun. Very early starts to see the sunrise ( which we missed twice! ). At one of the temples ( Bayron-the one with all the faces ) we happened to arrive when they were hosting their annual Monk rally! Nigel i got loads of great photos for Emily. We
Bayron TempleBayron TempleBayron Temple

They filmed Tomb Raider here.
went from Monks to monkeys. They live in the jungle but come out in the afternoon to do a bit of tourist watching!. Yesterday we went to the further away temples which involved going down dirt tracks. We ended up head to foot covered in sand. My hair was rock hard! We saw the sunset too. We had to climb up a steep, dirty hill ( which was great fun going down especially in my flip flops! ).
Have loved the food here-their speciality is Amok ( a korma loike curry ) which you eat from coconuts. Bars and restaurants great here however never having buckets again!!! ( literally buckets full of spirits with the odd dash of coke!!). I think im in kidney failure today.
Leaving Cambodia tomorrow and heading straight for Bangkok. Meeting the aussies there. They have got us tickets for the Bangkok rock concert-Oasis, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol. Will be cool. We say goodbye to Tom and Iain who are now on there way back to china ( feeling slightly rough). Thanks for looking after us guys. You provided much entertainment. Ps. Iain please dont take anymore truncheons off policemen. You dont want anymore electric shocks and no more whippings from local motorbike owners!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

More monksMore monks
More monks

After their praying rally the locals line the streets and give them money, water and supernoodles. What more could a monk want?
The jungle templeThe jungle temple
The jungle temple

Nature is taking over
MonkeysMonkeys
Monkeys

Its a hard life!
So cuteSo cute
So cute

All the children say is how beautiful we are but i think its the other way around. Wouldnt you agree?
Buckets are bad!Buckets are bad!
Buckets are bad!

Really hurt your head the next day!
Bye bye boysBye bye boys
Bye bye boys

See you in OFS sometime!


16th February 2006

come on vic, i have seen you drink more than that

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0752s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb