Angkor What?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
October 24th 2008
Published: October 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Confession: we're continuing our "Places Angelina Acquired Children" tour in Cambodia. Steve and I decided to rearrange our trip a bit because my friend Sue's work schedule didn't permit us to visit her in Thailand when we'd planned, so now we're visiting Angkor Wat.

I absolutely love this country. Despite enduring some of the worst human rights hardships in recent history, the people here are constantly smiling and laughing. We've seen groups of women carrying enormous loads to market on their bikes, children walking hand in hand to school, enthusiastic tuk-tuk drivers pointing out every sight of possible interest - this is a country of proud, strong individuals.

I've been most surprised by how readily they welcome Americans. Although we hail from one of the very few countries in the world that not only peppered them with bombs during the Vietnam War but also refused to halt production of landmines, people don't treat us with caution, or worse, hatred. Rather, most everyone we've met has gleefully exclaimed, "America! Good country!"

We've encountered some heartbreaking beggars in our travels so far, but the landmine victims here tug at my heartstrings the most. At each temple, a band of men missing various limbs plays local music to earn money. It is astounding to see them beating drums with feet, positioning guitars to play with one arm stump, or blindly strumming a sort of banjo.

We're staying at a fantastic guesthouse. The bed is comfortable, the lizard population is minimal (enough to satisfy Steve that there are no snakes in the room), and the owner is passionate about helping his guests discover the best of Siem Reap. We borrowed bicycles from him yesterday (far too short for poor Steve!) and rode around the temples from 5:00AM - 2:00PM. We returned to the guesthouse absolutely exhausted and starving and were treated to a most un-Cambodian feast of Bockworst and beer!

We return to Thailand tomorrow to visit Sue in Chang Mai. She was one of my first friends in DC, and I am beyond excited to see her again.

~Kelly

P.S. I'm writing this from a restaurant with free internet! Steve's amusing himself by seeing how low he can stick his foot in the crocodile pit (yes, the owners of this place thought that would be a sensible attraction) before losing a toe, so I should go check on him!



Advertisement



24th October 2008

Love your Posts
I love reading of your great adventures!!! Like "The Amazing Race by a Knottie". I am getting great geography lessons!!

Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.2199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb