Discovering Siem Reap (and where to find the most delicious bugs)


Advertisement
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
September 12th 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The end of March is a good time to visit Siem Reap...the weather is not too hot yet, the tourists have just left, and hotels are starting to offer great discounts! So, off we went! This was Ben's first adventure north of Phnom Penh (we tend to head south to the beach!). He ended up loving Siem Reap and we had a great time. The weather was perfect, Angkor was magnificent, we met the most aweso... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Friendly critters (don't get too close!)Friendly critters (don't get too close!)
Friendly critters (don't get too close!)

Lots of monkeys in the trees all over...
Land Mine MuseumLand Mine Museum
Land Mine Museum

We visited the Landmine Museum which is awesome!
Siem Reap TownSiem Reap Town
Siem Reap Town

Here's a cute street in downtown Siem Reap. Lots of cafes, restaurants, shops, markets, etc. with a beautiful river that runs through town. We love Siem Reap!
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

Here's a view of this same street from above...cute overhangs!
Rest TimeRest Time
Rest Time

A coconut vendor was taking a rest during the noon time.
Art Art
Art

Oh, no, wait...that's Ben ;).
Fun at FCCFun at FCC
Fun at FCC

Ben and I went out for a fun splurge at FCC...the famous Foreign Correspondence Club...yummy food and a gorgeous building!
Big jump..Big jump..
Big jump..

I took a separate trip to Siem Reap with friends...on the drive on the way back we stopped in Kampong Thom so the driver and my Cambodian friends could get some buggies...here they are fresh!
Close-UpClose-Up
Close-Up

Yummy cockroaches anyone? You can also get a cockroach-cricket mix if you just can't choose...
Bug Ladies ;)Bug Ladies ;)
Bug Ladies ;)

The minute you park at a rest stop, tons of ladies swarm the door with their fresh buggies. You don't even have to leave the car!
Hmm...what to choose?Hmm...what to choose?
Hmm...what to choose?

My friend and I are a little nervous to get out of the van...she ended up buying a mix of crickets and roaches for her husband...she won't eat them though :).
Yum YumYum Yum
Yum Yum

Our driver bought two bags (and some spiders) and munched all the way home. There was lots of slurping and sucking and teeth-picking going on...
EEEK!EEEK!
EEEK!

Our driver kept teasing Laura, my friend from DC. She was captive in front with him! He kept trying, but she wouldn't try one :)
Buddha CarvingBuddha Carving
Buddha Carving

We also passed the town that's famous for it's artisans...they carve thousands of Buddhas every year. Here's some men at work.
Faceless Buddha...Faceless Buddha...
Faceless Buddha...

Not finished yet!
The Reclining BuddhaThe Reclining Buddha
The Reclining Buddha

This man was doing some detail work.
A Cambodian SunsetA Cambodian Sunset
A Cambodian Sunset

This was the sunset on our drive home..such incredible colors! I love the trees and the rice paddies.



28th September 2007

Great Pixs!!
Hey glove trotters!!!! Thank you for sharing these pixs with us :) they are great!! I feel part of your trips! :) Oh! and you inspired us, yes! Micah and I will spend our 4th anniversary in Egypt!! :) so traveling tips are welcome! :) Take care!! Love, Flor, Micah and Cata.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb