Ruined again.


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » North » Angkor
January 31st 2007
Published: January 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Waiting for the sunsetWaiting for the sunsetWaiting for the sunset

A tourist gong show!
Having a great time here despite the boys having a little tummy trouble. Trudy blames the street food we have been eating but I like to think its the more expensive meals that are doing it.

On Saturday we took the Mekong Express bus to Siem Reap, lots to see along the road. Got checked into our hotel and had a swim in the pool. We lined up one of the hotel tuk tuk drivers Lim to take us around for the week. Later in the afternoon Lim took us to buy our passes for the ruins and we climbed Bakheng hill to watch the sunset with about a thousand other tourists. We didnt stay for the complete sunset, Cameron was starting to feel sick and it looked like being a part of the mass exodus would take hours. As it was climbing down off the ruins there was a gong show.

The next day Cameron was still ill so Trudy stayed at the hotel with him and Eth Jas and I went out to some ruins that are a bit away from the main group. We saw Banteay Srei first, it was a chilly 30km ride from Siem
Truckin Cambodia styleTruckin Cambodia styleTruckin Cambodia style

Yes the driver is on the wrong side and yes thats a passenger on the hood!
Reap over some rough road. The intricate carvings at this small Hindu site dedicated to Shiva in 962 are amazing. Then we went another 20km further out to Kbal Spean over dirt road, very dusty. Along the way we stopped to buy fudge the locals make from the nectar of the palm trees, memories of Burma for me. Kbal Spean is a carved riverbed set in the jungle. We walked 1.5km to get to the carvings set in the bedrock of the stream. Well worth the trip! Our last stop for the day was at the ruin of Banteay Samre from about the year 1150. By the mid afternoon the stone of the temple was hot, felt like a sauna walking around there. Both Eth and Jas enjoyed taking pictures of the carvings at all the sites. Everywhere are kids selling things, postcards, books, bracelets and cold drinks. They are very cute and persistant but still smiling and willing to chat.

Ruins day #2, this time it was Ethans turn to get sick. So his comments to Cameron about "blowing chunks" came back to haunt him. But being the tough guy he is we were able to convince him to persevere through a day at the ruins. We started by going to Ta Prohm, the ruins made more famous by the film Tomb Raider with Angelina Jolie being filmed there. This buddhist temple built from 1186 has been restored leaving many of the large trees whose roots wind in and around the stone blocks, pretty cool. A policeman befriended us and took us for a walk through the jungle to another site where Angelina was filmed, for a tip of course. After that we climbed Ta Keo ruin which is about 50m high. Then on to see some of the ruins in Angkor Thom (1200) the best was Bayon with all the smiling faces and very interesting bas reliefs depicting historical events and life in the Khmer empire. Always nice to come back to the hotel and have a dip in the pool.

Ruins day #3, Ethan started the day still feeling a little sick but him bugging his sister early on was a clue he was recovering. Today we finally went to Ankor Wat, a Hindu temple from 1150 and considered to be the largest religious structure in the world. It was spectacular, we walked all around the inner perimeter to view the bas reliefs then we climbed the steep steps to the top. In the afternoon we went to visit a place where disadvantaged young people learn crafts like carving, making laquerware etc then we went for a little time in the market.
In the evening we went out for a buffet dinner with a live traditional Khmer dance show.

This blog is fairly detailed because I was able to type it up at the hotel on our laptop before coming to the internet cafe. Working out good that we brought the laptop we can also watch the latest blackmarket movies on DVD ($2 here) in our room at the hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Street foodStreet food
Street food

When they are done these are like tubular french toast, mmmmmm.
Cam crashedCam crashed
Cam crashed

Cam went down fast at the dancing show.


31st January 2007

Great pictures and commentary
Really enjoying checking out your blog. The pictures are really great and your comments are interesting. I am learning lots that I didn't know. Also am so glad to hear from you and know you are safe and enjoying your adventure. Am enjoying using your van. All is well here. Glad the boys got over their tummy upsets quickly. Our love to you all and hugs and kisses to the kids. Mom
1st February 2007

Hi All
What great pictures and we really enjoy reading about your adventures. Take care of your tummies, we will be following along with you. We've been snowmobiling in the mountains near Crowsnest Pass, that was our adventure. Take care of yourselves. Love to All Wendy and guys
1st February 2007

I enjoyed looking at the pictures. Actually I am searching for the one that shows Jasmine doing her Math Homework!!!
4th February 2007

so nice to see you!!
This is a great way to spend my morning, you guys look like you are having such a great adventure. I had my breakfast with you this morning! It was so nice, it was like a little visit. I miss you guys and thinking of you! Way to go Mr. camo cam on shooting the M16.Take care.
23rd February 2007

guys these are really great pictures and i like all the history about such a beautiful place wow glad to hear Mr Rambo is doing fine and being his old self did i say old ha have a wonderful trip and be safe. will that was some hospital you visited with the sore foot ouch to that foot Evan will you do me a favor and stay out of trouble see you all in a couple of weeks luv shaws

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb