Kratie, Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » East » Kratié
May 5th 2009
Published: May 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I had picked up a Cambodian visa at the embassy in Vientiane as to not get overcharged at the border, a very common story. The borders are usually a bit sketchy. From the border I went to Kratie in central-east Cambodia. The town was littered with trash which is common in Cambodia, but the ouskirts were beautiful. Kratie is on the banks of the Mekong River and is known for a colony of the endangered Irawaddy Dolphins. I took a boat out to see the dolphins and although they only come up briefly for air you could see their characteristically round nose pop out of the water before the dorsal fin, then tail. There were about six or seven that were around the boat, but never closer than 30ft or so. They were too quick to photograph well, so I just sat there for an hour on the quiet water listening for the next appearance.


The Cambodian women like to wear pajamas. You can walk down the street and see 20 or 30 women walking around town like they are getting ready to go to bed. I get it, they are light fabric and breathe well, but it is not a good look for a woman. Just an opinion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb