Cambodia (Siem Reap & Angkor Wat)


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » Central
March 20th 2010
Published: March 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

CAMBODIA
Even only spending a week in Cambodia proved it is close to (if not is) the friendliest country in SE Asia. The people have a joyous, childlike demeanor. They are playful, happy, and laugh at both themselves and everything/everyone around them. One can't help but believe that Thais used to be like this before they let tourism ruin them. Even in a touristy area like Siem Reap (Angkor Wat), they just go about their business pedaling their bikes around, eating all sorts of strange critters (fried tarantulas!), and generally living life to the fullest. It's inspiring.

I stayed in a place (River Village Manor) in north Siem Reap, owned by an Australian named Matt. It is away from the center, where all the tourists hang out, and is in River Village, where traditional Cambodian life can be experienced literally minutes away from the biggest tourist attraction in Cambodia, Angkor Wat. Matt is a font of local knowledge, done with an Ozzie accent. His place is wonderfully comfortable, and not too expensive. I lucked out. Cambodians are the best, very eager to get your tourist business but in a totally cool, kind way. I wish I could have spent more time here instead of Thailand. Oh well, live and learn.

Angkor Wat, and surrounding ruins, are incredibly impressive. One thing I recommend doing is walking the walls along the moat around Angkor Thom. No tourists, only a beautiful view of the countryside on one side, and jungle on the other. Another great excursion is to rent a bicycle and ride outside of Siem Reap into the countryside. You are joining Cambodians in their favorite mode of transportation, and you can easily meet friendly locals. It's a great antidote to the incredibly concentrated tourist core of “Pub Street” in Siem Reap.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb