Burmese Visa Run


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma
April 20th 2008
Published: June 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Welcome To Union of MyanmarWelcome To Union of MyanmarWelcome To Union of Myanmar

A temple greets us to the nation of Myanmar/Burma. Baz! The motherland!
After our liveaboard trip, we realised we had been in Amazing Thailand(tm) for nearly 30 days (doesn't time fly when you are having fun?) and we would have to do a visa run to restart the 30 day timer. From Lanta, where we were, the most easily accessible other country was Myanmar (Burma). We booked an all-in-one visa run which picked us up at 08.00 in an air conditioned minibus, fed us, drove us to the port, put us on a boat, showed us where to line up to get ourselves stamped in and then straight out of Myanmar (we had about 10 mins to look around, take a few photos and be offered viagra, opium, cigarettes, booze and early 90s mobile phones) back on the boat, back in the air conditioned coach, fed us again, then drove us back to where we started. If you have seen Snatch, it is a bit like the scene where cousin Avi and crew come on Concord from New York, then back. It was not exactly in the backpacking spirit of independent travel, but it probably worked out cheaper and took about 3 days less than it would have!

It would have been
Mon and Joe and TempleMon and Joe and TempleMon and Joe and Temple

Mon has asked me to just make sure that everyone knows that it is that top making her look fat. It is really unflattering and she has thrown it away after seeing this picture.
nice to explore Myanmar... But things are not great there at the moment and there are two schools of thought whether you should travel there: One view is that you are putting money in the pocket of (and condoning) a military junta with a diabolical human rights record, but on the other hand people visiting raises awareness in the outside world of the internal repression, and if money is wisely spent can put money in the pockets of the people who need and deserve it... A big scruple... And this was before the cyclone hit... In any case we decided not to venture into Myanmar even though it is meant to be an amazing place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Young boatmanYoung boatman
Young boatman

Young lad driving this boat and in the background a nice golden standing buddha. This was taken on the Thai side.
Nice brollyNice brolly
Nice brolly

The captain of the boat is kindly ducking to avoid blocking our view of the buddha.
Rush hour at the harbourRush hour at the harbour
Rush hour at the harbour

This is from on the Thai side where our visa-run boat left from.
Big ShipsBig Ships
Big Ships

Mon likes the big ships in this one... Takes her back to her time in the navy...
Houses and little shops line the waterwayHouses and little shops line the waterway
Houses and little shops line the waterway

This is on the Thai side again.
The hustle and bustleThe hustle and bustle
The hustle and bustle

Check out the really old bus turning in the background! Room for a couple more on there I think!
The harbour was a bit dirtyThe harbour was a bit dirty
The harbour was a bit dirty

But people were getting on with there lives in this busy little place
Mon and Burmese RandomMon and Burmese Random
Mon and Burmese Random

I think he was trying to sell her something...
Joe and another salesmanJoe and another salesman
Joe and another salesman

He was trying to sell viagra, whisky, opium, anything else we wanted!
Little and largeLittle and large
Little and large

Check the matching shorts though! And the two ladies selling stuff on their heads.


17th June 2008

the fartherland
Wow how cool is that, very jelouse will have to have a natter aboutr it when you get back...miss and luv you guy's. Jay p.s. YOUR MUM!!!!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb