Pyay and Yangon


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
January 30th 2016
Published: April 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Lunch stopLunch stopLunch stop

After leaving Pyay early this morning for our 7 hour drive to Yangon, we stopped here for lunch. The boat made sandwiches for use. This is an interesting stop that includes two swimming pools and an arboretum.
Day 20-Saturday-January 30 This morning we woke up early to get our bags in the hallway. After breakfast, we boarded 2 buses for our 7 hours ride to Yangon. We made a stop for lunch at an interesting place and had a small package lunch that was prepared by the ship. Upon reaching Yangon, we got involved with the usual traffic congestion. We drove by a lot of present and former military compounds and the driver took us past Aung San Suu Kyi’s home that showed the NLD (National League for Democracy) party signage.

We finally arrived at the Sule Shangri La around 3:00. After checking in, Duli gave us a briefing about the different departure information as a number of folks were going different places. We relaxed a bit and decided to have room service and call it an early night as we were taking an early bus to the airport to catch our flight to Inle Lake.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Dining areaDining area
Dining area

Part of the dining area and gift area to the right.
Serving staffServing staff
Serving staff

These young kids are standing near the kitchen waiting for their customer orders to be finished.
Our lunch areaOur lunch area
Our lunch area

Jane ready to eat our sandwiches that were just passed out.
ArboretumArboretum
Arboretum

Orchids growing in an interesting way.
Boys swimming poolBoys swimming pool
Boys swimming pool

Big covered pool for the boys only. There is another one for the girls.
Women's restroomWomen's restroom
Women's restroom

Universal signs show where the ladies go.
Boy's restroomBoy's restroom
Boy's restroom

Not so universal sign for the men's room... but effective.
Outdoor vendorsOutdoor vendors
Outdoor vendors

Some potatoes for sale.
VendorVendor
Vendor

She has small eggs, oranges and tomatoes for sale
What would you like?What would you like?
What would you like?

These folks are selling a variety of things on the sidewalk in front of our buses.
Are you sure?Are you sure?
Are you sure?

Sure you wouldn't like to buy something?
Welcome to MyanmarWelcome to Myanmar
Welcome to Myanmar

The welcome sign as we arrive in Yangon.
Shwedagon PagodaShwedagon Pagoda
Shwedagon Pagoda

On our return to Yangon, we see Shwedagon Pagoda in the distance.
Aung San Suu Kyi homeAung San Suu Kyi home
Aung San Suu Kyi home

We drove past the gated home of Aung San Suu Kyi and the NLD (National League for Democracy). She was under house arrest by the former military government for 15 years.


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1747s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb