First Few Burmese Days


Advertisement
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
November 30th 2010
Published: December 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Note to readers – there will be a cascade of blogs published in the next few hours. I have been writing throughout my time in Myanmar but have not had regular or reliable access to the internet to post them. My flight touched down in Yangon and taxied to a halt outside the international terminal. The building was nothing like I had expected. The sleek new terminal was clean and spacious inside ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




18th January 2011

Feeling of Myanmar Citizen
Your post is splendid and excellent. Very detail. I get goose bump when I am reading your description of Shwedagon Paya. Now I realize more and more to cherish our culture and building. I want to disagree with you for deciding base on broken pavement and bumpy road are evident of poor country. Coz we, as a citizens, we paid all the taxes legally or even under table money to get our things done. Moreover, I don't know whether you have heard before or not, Burmese people who work legally in other country also need to pay income tax to Myanmar Government. We are paying double tax where there is no such thing all over the world. They are controlling our taxes when we extend our passport expired date. Another reasons that I thought the roads have never been repair is ,well that's my thinking only but it might be right, bcoz they move the capital city to NayPyiDaw, which i never consider it's our capital now, from Yangon. They are purposely making Yangon life miserable by making cutting of the electricity and dirty street and bumpy roads. In fact, Burmese people are not that poor but just the government are sucking so much blood from the citizens. You can't imagine how much is the cars and handphone in Myanmar. Those old model 2nd hands cars which you probably couldn't find in other countries anymore are actually more cost then other countries cars. We don't have any installment plan for paying. We must pay all by cash. That's how we buy things. Why is that so? Again, government control all the car importing and selling and buying permit and they don't give permit to anyone unless it's their relative. That is the reason we have to pay so much higher price than it worth. Cars and hand phone are just a few example. There are more other things. You would be surprised if I told you what I think about half of this enormous donation on Shwedagon Paya might also goes to authorities and only a few goes to re-gliding of main zadi. Even though we know it would happen that way, we still donate by thinking only that we are donating to this zadi. Our intention are pure. We are doing a good deed. If they dare to take this money, they are the one who going to hell. I think for them, they don't mind about that since they are confirmed that they will be in hell for next 1000 of lives. I was smiling when I read about "Burma Belly" and I agree with you. When I was living in Myanmar, I didn't notice that. But after awhile I was out of my country and when I visit back to my country. I eat a lot of foods which I miss a lot and every time I've got that and next day have to run to clinic. hahaha.... Next time I bought the medicine first. So you should include what medicine to bring along to Burma. wow... you've got a lot of nice photos. The photo of Sule Paya you taken in front of old City Hall, they actually don't like taking picture in front of old City Hall. Lucky No police approached you after that. I am so happy and interested to read your post and your opinion about my country. Thank you for giving me opportunity to explain and voice out what I've been wanting to tell to the world who still don't know how it actually work in Myanmar. I am sure I will come back and read your many others post and will recommend to my friends. All the best...

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb