The Golden Land, or "Seeing is Believing"


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
July 9th 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Captain JackCaptain JackCaptain Jack

Inle Lake, a beautiful lake situated in central Myanmar. This little man is taking care of tough business here.
Good day chaps, how is everything, is life treating you good ? We just returned from our trip to Myanmar, are u interested in our little adventures and great impressions ? If yes, stop working for a minute (do NOT shut down the computer now, that definitely won't do) and listen carefully please ...
Reckon you're aware of the general situation in this country, last but not least because of the recent bad news. We weren't quite certain if we should visit or not due to several reasons. Most of the tourists do not show up due to the cyclone and its consequences and the awkward political situation which is actually a big motivator for boykotting this country in many manners (sanctions, tourisms etc.).
Well, the latter was even our stimulator to go and take a closer look. On the other hand, we wanted to see/meet as many people as possible, show our maximum respect and disrupt their isolation at least a little bit. At the end it's everyone's own decision. To speak in numbers, we were only around 50 tourists in the country during the last 2 weeks.
Brief overview if u don't mind. With bustling modern cities, emerging beach
Monks queuing ...Monks queuing ...Monks queuing ...

for their daily rice ration in the morning. Of course we tried the same in order to get food for free,but we were unmasked immediately (because I was wearing hawaii short and cowboy boots)
destinations and more temples than tourists, Myanmar's rich and thrilling culture - of dozens of languages and peoples - is naturally a drawcard. Tropical Cyclone Nargis caused extensive damage and fatalities in Myanmar on 4 May, and the regions of Irrawaddy, Rangoon, Bago, Karen and Mon have been declared disaster zones. The security situation, in general, in Myanmar remains uncertain. Large anti-government demonstrations taking place throughout the country have been known to draw violent responses from authorities. Economic misrule by Myanmar's military government has made the resource-rich country one of the poorest in the world. Such a huge contrast, while the "the members of the board" are rolling in gold and money, is it the daily business for he majority of the population to survive.
Only some corridors are open for tourists, we travelled from Yangon via Bago to Inle Lake, further up to Mandalay and back to Yangon again. What can we say...let's cut it down to few words (before you folks fall asleep), people are poor but happy, extremly friendly, big-hearted and ... they make the most of the situation. Of course the country is beautiful (at least the 1% we could catch a glimpse of), 100 millions
Canale GrandeCanale GrandeCanale Grande

We were living in this little street which became a small river after the rainfall. It's good to wear water-proof in Myanmar at that time of the year.
of stupas, pagodas and temples, enough for all of us.
Ok, u almost reached the finnish line ... we will keep this country in our hearts and hope very much the situation will improve.
Having said this, check out the pix.
Thx and talk 2 u soon, Irina and Tony






Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

School's out todaySchool's out today
School's out today

Serious politic talks at the round table with a great deal of Lemonade and Coke-Mandalay Rum. Actually that caused a major headache for me, I blame the local brewed Coke, not the Rum of course:)
Gambling on the road to MandalayGambling on the road to Mandalay
Gambling on the road to Mandalay

There a two ways to fill your pockets with Myanmar money. Either you change at the blackmarket which is boring and painful or you gamble. Sooo, make your bet and watch your US dollars fly fly away.


10th July 2008

Are you a Carrom Champ already !
Glad to see you nice comments about the country and gladder to know that you are all in good shape and made its out of the country without any major issues.... so the big board game you tried playing.. its called as Carrom and very popular in India as well..so where are you folks going to in Malaysia ? I would recommend you people go to Tioman Islands which is in the south china sea, may be a 3hrs catamaran ride from the coast of Singapore ...or probably you would like to take the road from KL....Any ways please start looking out for the JR pass... else you will have to take a large LOAN to travel in the land of the rising sun ;-)... u folks take care. mahe

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb