Pyin Oo Lwin


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region
December 9th 2016
Published: December 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6, so fell asleep as soon as we got in the car and missed the entire journey up the mountain. We arrived at Pyin Oo Lwin which is a town the British used to move to for the summer back in the day. It is also known as the Flower city And once off the Main Street there were loads of flower stalls. There is still loads of traffic.

Visited the market, this is the only place you can legally buy 'poppy pancakes' as they are classed as traditional food in this area, didn't try them as apparently you need to lie down after eating them and your brain goes a bit crazy!!

On to Peik Chin Muaung Cave. Hadn't twigged that you would have to go in barefoot so much struggling with laces, socks and trainers ensued. We then gingerly picked our way along the brick, rock and muddy plastic matting through the cave, which was stuffed full of Buddhas of all shapes and sizes, with a gigantic golden one near the end. There were alsoa few pretend crocodile scattered about which terrify small children!

On to the B.E. Waterfalls next, which were very pretty and once again surrounded by stalls selling plastic toys, bottles of booze and wolly jumpers. Then it was the Pyi Chit Pagoda, all gold leaf and nice views.

The countryside is lovely and there are small farms everywhere.

Lunch was back in town at a Chinese street stall, which was 'very clean, very good food', well the grub was ok but using the loo right next to the kitchen I think clean was stretching it a bit.

We drove around the town and looked at some of the old colonial buildings which looked like they had been transported from Surrey. Most are now used as schools or government offices. The whole area away from the centre is much more spacious and green, and affluent.

Our last pagoda for the day was a Chinese one which was very different to the Burmese ones and very orderly, clean and less neon!

We stayed at the Mymau Hotel in town, nice enough in the typical bland concrete block style of most of the hotels.

Tea was an Indian in the front room of someone's house, with various family members glued to the latest Indian soap on the tv. The food was lots of pots of strange vegetable concoctions and one piece of chicken BUT there were chappattis!!!!! Omg what a treat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Peik Chin Muaung CavePeik Chin Muaung Cave
Peik Chin Muaung Cave

Aaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhh
Peik Chin Muaung CavePeik Chin Muaung Cave
Peik Chin Muaung Cave

Gateway to nirvana
B.E. WaterfallB.E. Waterfall
B.E. Waterfall

With Peter
B.E. waterfallB.E. waterfall
B.E. waterfall

Howard buys a snack
Pyinn Oo LwinPyinn Oo Lwin
Pyinn Oo Lwin

Broom anyone?
Chinese Bon KuaungChinese Bon Kuaung
Chinese Bon Kuaung

Remember the tv programme monkey?
Pyinn Oo LwinPyinn Oo Lwin
Pyinn Oo Lwin

Colonial house


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb