Ancient Kingdoms


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Mandalay
February 14th 2015
Published: February 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

U Bein FootbridgeU Bein FootbridgeU Bein Footbridge

Taken at sunset from boat in lake.
Last day in Burma -- I don't want to leave as it is so peaceful here. Spent the morning on the Irewaddy river arriving upriver in Mingun Village. It is Valentine's Day and also, Saturday with lots of teenagers on a date. They enjoy cruising as they ride around on their motorbike or walk along the main drag (ok, path) through the village. The tradition seems to be that the young couples dress in matching outfits. This is another historic village where a King built the largest ringing bell, the largest Lions to guard the gates of the largest Pagoda and overlooking the largest lake. The trouble is that only the world's largest ringing bell made it. The lions are mostly destroyed from an earthquake. The pagoda is half built and unstable from earthquakes and no subsequent rulers have continued the construction. The largest lake has not been started either. Oh well, it was a delightful visit and we did see interesting ruins (my, those lions are HUGE) & the bell is BIG, and with no crack!

This afternoon and early evening we first visited a silk making workshop. This area in Mandalay is where the beautiful ceremonial gowns are
River cruise to MingunRiver cruise to MingunRiver cruise to Mingun

Typical boaters.
woven that are used for ceremonies such as weddings. We then continued our drive to the famous U Bein footbridge which is 2 centuries old and the longest wooden bridge in Burma. It stretches for a mile across the Thaung Thaman Lake. It is made of left over teak wood from a run-down castle and is a favorite place for picnics and strolling. The planks are uneven, you are very high in the air, with no guard rails. A bit scary at times. However, there couldn't have been a better place to be with the wonderful sunset and the gondola type boat ride after first walking much of the bridge.

Tomorrow we fly to Bangkok to start our base trip that will include Thailand, Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam. I look forward to meeting up with Diane, my sister.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

LongyiLongyi
Longyi

Men & women wear longyi. A large circular cloth that wraps. It is adjusted for various uses including shorts, a sling, jacket etc. Women's are more colorful. I purchased one and love the feel of it. Unique to Burma.
Irrewady riverIrrewady river
Irrewady river

P.assing boat full of local travelers. It is tradition to give free rides to monks
Silk weaverSilk weaver
Silk weaver

We walked through the factory observing all levels of the weaving process. Beautiful fabrics in their shop.
Valentines Day in MandalayValentines Day in Mandalay
Valentines Day in Mandalay

Young couple on an outing in their matching shirts which seems to be the tradition.
U Bein FootbridgeU Bein Footbridge
U Bein Footbridge

Taken from the boat on the lake.
BoathouseBoathouse
Boathouse

Living on the river.
World's largest ringing bell.World's largest ringing bell.
World's largest ringing bell.

90 Ton bell. Ring 3 times to share merit then say "sadu, sadu, sadu.


14th February 2015
U Bein Footbridge

Iconic photo
Nice

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb