Hanging with Francophones at Inle Lake


Advertisement
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Inle Lake
September 15th 2017
Published: September 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Getting to Inle I asked Win Aung to drive me to Mandalay Airport to catch my flight to Heho, the closest airport to Inle Lake. I told him that my flight was at 10am and he said he would pick me up at 8.30am. I trusted he knew what he was doing, so I happily hopped into his car when he showed up the next morning. I did not realize how far out of town Mandalay Airport was. After 35 minutes in the ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Phaung Daw U PagodaPhaung Daw U Pagoda
Phaung Daw U Pagoda

At functioning temples throughout Myanmar, I heard a singsong voice coming across the loudspeakers. I thought they were recordings, until I came across this guy.
Inle LakeInle Lake
Inle Lake

Village on lake.
Inle LakeInle Lake
Inle Lake

Extracting threads from lotus stems.
Inle LakeInle Lake
Inle Lake

Weaving.
Inle LakeInle Lake
Inle Lake

Tending the floating tomato farm... by boat of course.
Nyaung ShweNyaung Shwe
Nyaung Shwe

School's out.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Viewed from the road leading to the natural swimming pool.
Red Mountain WineryRed Mountain Winery
Red Mountain Winery

Sauvignon Blanc.



16th September 2017

Inle Lake
Almost missed that flight! Glad you made it and yes new questions will be asked in the future. Smile. We loved our time in Inle lake and your blog reminded me of the long neck women that I had forgotten. Thanks for the memories of a good trip. You made the best of a rainy day.
17th September 2017

Yes, Inle Lake is special...
I wish I had the option of a tour that focused on life on the lake, e.g. how they get around, where they get their food, sanitation, utilities, how the boats refuel, education for the kids, etc. I would have enjoyed that a lot more than handicrafts.
17th September 2017

Inle Lake
Great blog on Inle Lake, and glad you were able to enjoy the hostel vibe again, albeit with your own room and comfort - nice! Again, I think we followed pretty much the same itinerary! I also visited a winery, some hot springs, and lots of handicraft workshops on the Lake...! Oh, and the gold-leaf-covered blobs in the Lake Temple too - I believe my own gold-leaf addition is in there somewhere...!
18th September 2017

Those Blobs...
Did you figure out what they are? Still a mystery to me...
18th September 2017

Blobs
I believe the guide mentioned there were some small Buddha statues under their somewhere, misshaped by years of gold leaf additions...!
18th September 2017

Blobs
I believe the guide mentioned there were some small Buddha statues under their somewhere, misshaped by years of gold leaf additions...!
29th September 2017

Who expects to find a winery in Myanmar???
There is something quite charming about Mandalay Airport being non-computerised, but a part of me also worries about human error...even though this was how it was done for decades! I know lots of people who lose the power of not just English, but language in general, when they drink on rooftops! There is something about open air drinking that seems to exacerbate the issue :) How fabulous to find a local winery, however no amount of wine or cheese could ever compensate for evil little mosquitoes :( Safe onward travels!
29th September 2017

I'm Surprised How Much I Liked Myanmar...
Greetings from Tokyo! I'm on the last leg of my solo travels. Myanmar was amazing. Go there as soon as you can before it changes even more!

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb