Inle Lake


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Inle Lake
October 21st 2012
Published: October 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Fisherman of Inle LakeFisherman of Inle LakeFisherman of Inle Lake

Supposedly, the one legged paddling originated from when there was no land passages around the lake, and the fisherman wanted to make sure they were strengthening their legs as well as their arms.
Arriving in Tnuggi at 3:30 am was a surprise after thinking we might arrive at 7am. As if we hadn’t spent enough time on the bus already, we asked the driver if we could nap until daybreak on the bus, which is remarkably better than while it was moving: the blaring music was off and the freezing air conditioning was off as well.



From Tnuggi, we had to made our way to Ngau She, where Inle Lake is. After asking numerous people for directions, we found a teacher at school who called over a couple of friends on motor bikes, and they took us to a tuk tuk (pick up truck with benches in it) that was heading our way. Our fatigue showed as Phil nearly got hit by a motor bike crossing the road, and my motor bike driver dropped the bike as we peeled out into traffic (which was probably in part my fault as well).



Finally, we arrived to our pick up truck (picture a mini chevorlet truck). Although we started with 7 passengers and some gear on top, we topped out at 26. Everything from eggs to
Swimming in InleSwimming in InleSwimming in Inle

Perfectly refreshing after our long hike.
vegetables were on the top (no live stock), and about 6 men were hanging onto the back of the truck. The journey was about an hour.



We arrived in Ngau She, were promptly charged the $5 government entrance fee (I’m not sure how they new this Tuk tuk crammed with people had 2 gringos on it), and found a place to stay. After a little snooze, we explored town, and booked a boat for the following day. Our boat ride through Inle was spectacular. From the fishermen who paddle balancing on one foot (see picture), to the various weaving, cigar making, and silver smith shops, we had a great day exploring, checking out monasteries, and going to the market and through villages. The people are incredibly resourceful, and have constructed lots of ‘floating gardens’ of mostly tomatoes. Although there is not too much soil for the gardens, the limestone from the lake helps the tomatoes grow. Sunset was spectacular as well.



The following day, we grabbed some bikes and went to the ‘hot springs.’ Unfortunately they were too warm to soak on a hot Myanmar day. We continued to find a village that specialized in making tofu and other soy products. We saw folks roasting and salting the beans, boiling the soy mixture over a fire to make the tofu, and drying soy crackers.



The following day we found ourselves a trekking guide, and went up into the hills above Inle Lake with Lin Lin, our guide. Lin Lin was university educated, and he knew everything from the local flora and fauna, to Shakesspeare and Aesop Fables. The P’ot people here make their livlihood from harvesting and drying cigar leaves from the chroo trees. They had these spectacular long ovens along the floor of their huts, that they use it to dry the leaves that are the outer part of the cigar. We finished our long hike with a boat ride back across the lake and a sunset swim (perhaps the highlight of the day).



Finally, our time had come to leave the lake and Myanmar. We boarded one last tuk tuk filled with gringos to the bus stop. 12 hours to Yangon, taxi to airport, plane to Bangkok, plane to Phuket, boat to Koh Yao Noi, a lazy Muslim
SchoolSchoolSchool

Looks like an exciting lesson.
island on the bay of Phang Nga.



Myanmar was amazing, and we were sorry to leave. We feel as if we are bracing for a more harsh environment, as the Burmese people were so good to us. Always helpful, and smiling, we never had to worry about our stuff or being misled in any way. They cooked beautiful meals for us, and the countryside was spectacular. We’ve already decided that we’ll return for our 20 year anniversary (if not before).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0815s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb