Myanmar - Bagan


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Bagan
January 23rd 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This blog by Jacqui:

An all day boat trip along the Irrawaddy drops us off in Bagan. Our first stop to one of the two preeminent ancient religious cities in Southeast Asia: Bagan in Burma and Angkor in Cambodia. We liked Bagan more than Angkor because it is far less touristed and more picturesque. Unlike Angkor, Bagan sprawls across a vast dusty plain, the ruins unhidden, revealing an expanse of sacred individual temples. Over 13,000 temples, pagodas and other religious structures were originally built in this 26 sq. mile (42 sq. k.) area during the height of the kingdom between the 11th and 13th centuries. Lucas and I secure the best looking bikes (padded seats and all) in our base of Nyang-U for our day of temple-biking and we depart, amidst the horse carts, with enthusiasm and energy. We slowly navigate through sandy tracks (very difficult on a bike!) and over the course of the day explore the labyrinth of temples that dot the countryside (see below for all the temples we saw with excepts from www.sacredsites.com if you are interested). Awe-inspiring, Bagan is like Disneyland for Archeologist's and Buddhists and we watch the sun set from Buledi temple before riding home for a refreshing beer.

A bumpy 1 hour taxi ride north of Bagan is picturesque Mt Popa, where to my surprise Lucas has booked us into Mt Popa Mountain Resort. Perhaps the nicest place we have ever stayed! We find ourselves in a misty mountain oasis with an infinity pool (refreshing natural spring water) and teak bungalows tucked into abundant lush forests all with amazing hillock views to the monastery atop Mt Popa. We spend the afternoon by the pool marveling at our location, and then by the grace of god, we turn on the TV in our room and DUKE-WAKE FOREST basketball is on on Star Sports (TV in the middle of Burma, let alone ESPN and Duke?). Lucas is quite happy. We get back to culture the following day when we are greeted at the entrance to Mt. Popa's staircase by a plethora of monkeys - families, mummies, daddies, babies - who rush around trying to secure food from tourists and local food vendors (they definitely don't go hungry!). We hike the 777 steps to the top of the monastery for a panoramic view of the surrounding mountains and low-lying planes.

Bagan Temple Highlights:

1. Shwe-zi-gon Paya - this pagoda was built as the most important reliquary shrine in Bagan. Begun by King Anawrahta and completed by King Kyanzittha in 1089, it contains several bones and hairs of the Buddha. Pilgrims from throughout Burma journey to Shwezigon each year for a great festival during the Burmese month of Nadaw, which falls in the November-December period. This festival is hugely popular because elements of pre-Buddhist Nat worship (Nats are pagan anamistic spirits) were combined with Buddhist themes in the pagoda’s construction. Shwezigon is thus a center of pilgrimage for both the archaic shamanic culture of Burma and the newer religion of Buddhism.

2. Kyan-sit-thar -

3. Gu-byack-gyi -

4. Buledi (#394) (our favorite with views of 5. 6. and 7. below)

5. Su-la-ma-ni Pahto - The 1st and most important temple of the late-period Bagan Monument building

6. Pya-tha-da Pagoda (magnificent upper terrace platform)

7. Dhamma-yan-gyi - the largest temple in Bagan, it was built by King Narathu who reigned from 1167 to 1170.

8. Ananda Temple - This temple was completed in 1091 A.D. by King Kyanzittha. It is modeled after the legendary Nandamula cave in the Himalaya mountains. Soaring to 51 meters, it received its golden gilding in 1990 in commemeration of the 900th anniversary of its construction. Contained within the temple are four great statues of the Buddhas of the four ages. Kakusandha faces north, Konagamana faces east, Kassapa faces south, and Guatama, the most recent Buddha, faces west (www.sacredsites.com).

9. Hti-lo-min-lo temple - A three-tiered temple built by the king to commemorate his selection as crown prince

Recommendations:
Mt. Popa Resort - room 801 or 802 for the best views.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mt. Popa MonasteryMt. Popa Monastery
Mt. Popa Monastery

From our hotel room!
Mt. Popa MonkeyMt. Popa Monkey
Mt. Popa Monkey

These little guys are everywhere
All day float down the AyerwaddyAll day float down the Ayerwaddy
All day float down the Ayerwaddy

Dawn on the boat ride from Mandalay to Bagn


10th March 2007

Thank you for these enlightening reports
11th March 2007

I'm not at all jealous of your worldly travels...after all I get to sit in a cube all day looking at a computer. What more could a woman want? Worldly sights? Incredible View's? Exploring cultures? Exotic animals and food? Heck NO! It doesn't begin to parallel my existance I have working and existing within a 5 mile radius of Santa Rosa. .....I have to get a kleenex now and dry my eyes....yes, .I have NO life. So thanks for sharing the pics cause it's the only travel I'm doing now adays! Travel safe! Karen
12th March 2007

What a special honeymoon!
The Blog is a great idea, keep it up, your adventures are incredible. Thinking of you both. Love Ed

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 18; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb