What do you buy the man who has everything?


Advertisement
Brunei's flag
Asia » Brunei » Bandar Seri Begawan
December 22nd 2010
Published: January 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Brunei, maybe one of the smallest countries that we have visited but it is also one of the richest, in fact you can see the oil wells at the side of the road busily collecting black gold.

We paid a flying visit and checked out the Royal Regalia Musuem, which is home to all the gifts that the Sultan of Brunei has been given by foreign dignatories. To prove that this is a man that has everything the Sultan's solid gold chin rest is on display. In the shape of an arm, the hand cushions your chin. (Look carefully at the flag if you don't believe me!)

I suspect the museum was built in order to solve some of those awkward 'what an awful present moments - what on earth am I going to do that?' As you would expect gold and precious jewels seemed to feature high on the list of gifts but other countries have been more inventive with pieces of art and random models. Presents stem from the beautiful to the truly weird.

The UK got round the problem by making the Sultan an Honorary General of the Household Cavalry - they even threw in the fluffy hat for good measure.

So what you might ask would the Sultan buy if the shoe was on the other foot? Well I can answer that as well - he has built his people a giant amusement park - the only problem being that if you don't like it exchanges are out of the question.





Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0152s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb