Beautiful Bhutan


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Thimphu
October 24th 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Many things in Bhutan were beautiful, except the weather - we had a lot of cloud on the days when we were supposed to see the 'most beautiful mountain in the world' (according to our Guide), and other big mountains and the like - I am beginning to think I'm jinxed about seeing views from high places! (maybe I shouldn't book the flight around Everest...)

It is the complete opposite to Ladakh in that it is very green everywhere - and we found out why as it rained on many nights, but luckily only a few times during the day. However, many things are similar to Ladakh, but with a Bhutanese slant. It is also a very Bhuddist country, and the Dzongs (monasteries) are similar in style with thick, slanted outer walls, but they have large overhanging rooves and are painted in a much more decorative manner - very pretty. The woodwork of the houses is also painted in a lovely way and some look a bit like Alipne chalets due to their large, angled overhanging rooves. The roof is open all around underneath though, and they dry grasses, wood and food under the eaves.

The locals often wear their traditional outfits - the men's is similar in style to Ladakh, but much more colourful; men in knee length Ghos, which are like large dressing-gowns wrapped around them and tied with a woven belt, with a big bulge in front that can be used as a pocket, and women in full length wrap around skirts and lovely loose jackets. The materials used for both sexes is very colourful (I've bought a few pieces to make clothes/curtains with, and a lovely jacket).

The other trekkers were a great group of people, 12 of us altogether, and we all got on well - there were 2 Canadians, a guy from Singapore and the rest British - and some great senses of humour! Ages ranged from 34 to 73 - I was the third youngest, with Sarah, my tent mate, the youngest. One guy was mega fit and was always ahead, but all the aclimatisation I'd had meant that I was deemed to be the next fastest, although not by much as most of the group walked at a fair pace. There was much more walking involved than on the K2 trek, but as it was often on established paths it was easier. Sometimes though we were boulder hopping to avoid the mud-baths created by our Yaks/donkeys. The trek took us over 4 high passes, one of which was over 5,000m and we were aboive 4,000m for about 10 days.

The scenery was stunning with tree clad mountains in every direction, and the autumn colours were magnificent (even with the cloudy, dull-light conditions we often had). There were lots of flowers on the hillsides, mainly bluey-purpley colours, but with a few pink, yellow and white. I saw some Gentians on the hills - flowers that is, plus lots of birds and a few Marmots and Blue sheep (which are neither blue, nor sheep). We got to see typical village life in some of the places we camped, and visited a few schools. The kids at the first one gave us a great rendition of some local songs, and their national anthem, but all we could come up with to sing for them was Sing-a-song of sixpence (and we didn't make a very good job of it either)!

Towards the end of the trek we stopped at some hot springs - it was so good to laze around in a hot bath after 12 days of minimal washing! The trek ended in Punaka, the old capital with a massive Dzong. I'm now back to civilisation (and cleanliness) in Thimpu, their modern capital and doing my bit for the Bhutanese GDP.

Off to Kathmandu tomorrow then arrive back home on Saturday.

If anyone is planning on going for a walk in the Peaks on Sunday (28th) please let me know, as I'd like to get out (jet-lag allowing).
Cheers
Helen

Advertisement



25th October 2007

fit to drop...?
Hi Helen, Happy to see that you are well! You have now completed your long trip with this trek in Bhutan. You will see that back home, you are incinvible when climbing a mountain... even after a while! I went to a "high" mountain in the Adirondacks, east of US, border with Canada. ok, not as high as Stok Kangri, but the steep is hard. I went with friends who are very well in shape. All the way up, I found that the pace was a little bit too fast for me, only because I got used to go in slow motion in high altitude. But the breath was perfect and I felt like if I did a stroll and though very sincerely that my friends feel the same. All the week along, they complain about leg pain, and have difficulty to climb stairs. You know what...? I didn't feel a bit of their pain! Have a good travel back home. Thuy
25th October 2007

Anyone for golf?
Sorry not trekking in these her parts but could offer you a spolit walk with a golf ball. Let us know when you are going to get to Peterborough. We are all around Nov 2/3 if you want to mosie on down. We can test your alcohol tolerance! Safe journey back, the trip back to Nottingham will probably be more scary than anything you've done these last few months. All the best Sue
28th October 2007

Welcome home
Enjoyed reading your blogs whilst you were away. Can't believe you'll be back now. Just returned from a week's sun in Spain with Pete's Mum and the children - A very different experience to you but great for reading and getting a tan! Let us know what your plans are as we can meet up. Sal

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb