The Tiger's Nest and other thoughts from the mountains


Advertisement
Asia » Bhutan » Paro
October 28th 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Passing thoughts on two weeks in Shangril – La: At some point, your mind sends you the message that the repository is full. It’s not unlike a memory chip where you’ve maxed out the storage space. Our minds are saturated with knowledge and stories concerning Buddhism, Buddha, the second Buddha, The Tibeten Master, the Tantric Master, the Crazy monk and various other deities. Turns out they h... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Playing dartsPlaying darts
Playing darts

looking rather professional
Beautiful doorwaysBeautiful doorways
Beautiful doorways

enter the Dzong
Individual water heatersIndividual water heaters
Individual water heaters

in each bathroom- don't use more than your share!
Phallic symbolPhallic symbol
Phallic symbol

painted on many buildings- fertility
WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

on the hike to the Tiger's Nest



28th October 2012

Very jealous!
That's all!!
28th October 2012

Bhutan, Tiger's Nest and exploring the Himalayas
Indeed, that's all for now.
28th October 2012

Happy, Happy
Hope you are enjoying your birthday celebration in 3 separate countries. Also hope y'all are over your colds. I am experiencing either a head cold, or a sinus infection, not sure which, but I'm better today-can actually breathe through my nose. Have fun and party hearty.
29th October 2012

The party is indeed on.
I've already had two cakes and today we are off to the Taj Mahal. Bhutan was a lovely place to celebrate. They have the serenity thing figured out.
28th October 2012

Happy Birthday to you both!
How great that you got to spend your birthdays in such a magical place! How wise to know your limits and get those horses! That bird's nest monastery reminds me so much of those in Meteora, Greece, where indeed, the climbs were intense. You're another year older, and still open for adventure--excellent!
29th October 2012

Aging quickly
I was feeling like an old woman the day after that horse ride but it was worth it. No sense letting the ego make me do something stupid when I could not breath well. I would not have made it to the top without my horse. On to the Taj Mahal today.
28th October 2012

Hands and feet in stirrups?
Reading about MJ's fiasco on the horse has me in stitches! I wish you had a photo of this! :)
29th October 2012

At my expense
Ah, yes, I knew we could make you laugh. It was a sight. The saddle was not really a saddle and it was a comedy of errors keeping me on that horse. Dave got a taste of it and I was happy!
28th October 2012

Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday, Merry Jo!!! Hope you two feel better and rested for the remainder of your incredible journey! Love, Susan
29th October 2012

Hi Susan,
Wow, great hearing from you! Glad you are following along. Hope the storm passes you by. We are feeling better, thanks. Hopefully, we can see each other next year.
29th October 2012

Give us ya got please
Bhutan is on our list in a few months time but like most people we question the value. So cutting to the chase, is it worth it and can we organise it from the last minute from Sikkim, for example. ? I gather it's cleaner than Khatmandu.
29th October 2012

When I stop laughing I'll answer your questions
Yes, it is immensely cleaner! All I can say is we are glad we went. It is a lovely country and we enjoyed the people. We stayed two weeks. I imagine you could see what you want to see in 10 or 11 days. I think organizing at the last minute will depend on the month you go. There are not many places to stay so you need to book ahead during the busy season. We booked through Dharma Adventures. I can send you the contact info if you are interested. Don't go in June/July as it is rainy season and they have problems with mud slides and road issues. January to April is slower and cheaper.
29th October 2012

Better late than never, Happy Birthday Merry Jo! Just read this latest adventure and as usual read it from the first word to the last, you definitely have narrative talents! Hope you are health is now better and you are both enjoying the Taj, looking forward reading about your India adventure! Take care,
29th October 2012

Thanks Laetitia for the birthday wishes
Feeling much better, thanks. Bhutan was fabulous. You won't regret going. We know you are touring SA so we appreciate you taking the time to check out our blog. We have certainly enjoyed your adventures. Keep in touch.
29th October 2012
MJ Birthday celebration

two birthdays in Bhhutan! how lovely is that?! happy happy birthday MJ. Bhutan is in my bucket list and i'm so jealous :-P
29th October 2012
MJ Birthday celebration

Maybe you need a birthday trip!
Bhutan was a great place to celebrate birthdays. Hope you get there. We think you'll enjoy it.
29th October 2012

pictures
Hi there! Just thinking about you as this frankenstorm rolls in! Pics are beautiful and I wish I was there!! Happy B'day MJ!!
29th October 2012

Hope you have your umbrella handy?
Do you have a generator at home? Take cover and keep us posted. You would enjoy Bhutan. Add it to your bucket list.
29th October 2012

What a hike!
The birthday must have been a celebration for having survived the horse trek!
29th October 2012

You must be correct
I'm telling you that riding a horse in a foreign country, up hill is not all that easy. I was happy to get off that horse but could not have made it up without him.
29th October 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MERRYJO All the best for the years ahead. Love Mildred & HANK
29th October 2012

Thank you Hank & Mildred
Having a great time and thank you for following along. We miss you!
31st October 2012

MANY THINGS
Not jealous...not envious...just wishing I could be on the road enjoying a trip of a lifetime like you folks...as I often say...someone has to do it...might as well be Tiger's Nest! And MJ...in the spirit of festivity...can't let you miss out...I'll post a Birthday Song of the Week for you. Dave's came with special sauce...what can I cook up for MJ?
5th November 2012

Great photos - what an amazing place.
9th November 2012

You need to book at trip
You would love it.
21st January 2014

Still Jealous!
Every time I read this blog I am more and more jealous...my first lot of bhutanese students have gone home, I think i need to take up their offer to visit sooner rather than later.
21st January 2014

You MUST go
We had the best time in Bhutan. It is different from all other Asian countries in that they have a "plan" on how to build their country and move forward. They are not looking for the quick buck as in Nepal. They are being thoughtful about what is good for their country and their people. They are completely controlling the tourism. They want the money but not at the sake of ruining their countryside. They actually care about making this a better place for their people to live. The have a 5 year plan for communication, highways and transportation. They are looking at the big picture. You must book at trip.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb