Bhutan Part 2


Advertisement
Bhutan's flag
Asia » Bhutan » Bumthang
April 22nd 2024
Published: April 27th 2024
Edit Blog Post

ok, determined to get Part 2 out tonight. We are currently in Delhi, leaving for Srinagar (N India) in the morning.



We thoroughly enjoyed Bumthang. The festival was about an hour away in the Ura Valley. Although we did not understand much of the dance meanings, they were beautiful to watch, especially the mask dances. And the people watching was superb, with most dressed in their finest. After the morning dances, we moved into the Temple, where the themes were explained to us, plus continued understanding of the culture and history. On the way their Tashi and Tshering helped us hang our own prayer flag in the mountains. I love the concept, as the flags are printed with prayers, and it is the belief that the wind carries the prayers.



Forgot to add on the earlier blog - the accommodations were very comfortable and the food excellent. We stayed primarily with the veg options. Lots of fresh vegetables, variety of mushrooms, asparagus, and fiddle ferns were in season. Bhutan is known for their spicy chilis with a creamy cheese sauce, which was toned down for the tourists. We did have the occasional egg's mother, which took us a minute to figure out they meant chicken!



After Bumthang, we spent one night in Gangteg valley where every winter the black neck cranes migrate. The village had 2 cranes that had been hurt and are now in captivity. They are beautiful birds and it must be amazing when 600+ birds are there.



Our last day was the trek to Tigers Nest, the popular photo of the monastery built into the mountain top. The 4 mile round trip with an elevational gain of 1700 feet was abit more difficult than i had hoped, as i was still fighting the last of a head cold. But worth all the effort to reach the top! No pics are allowed inside any of the temples, but this one was especially gorgeous. We visited 4 of the 7 temples and it was fascinating to see how it was built into the rock ledge. And so very peaceful. We finished the day with a hot stone bath and a dinner at a local farmer's home. An excellent finish to an amazing day!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



27th April 2024
Ura

Dancing in Bhutan
Great pic. I have posted some of your pics in TB's "Dancing in the Streets" thread in the Photography Forum. Check 'em out. This one captures the anticipation perfectly.
10th May 2024
Ura

Thank you!
27th April 2024
Ura

Dancing in Bhutan
Great pic. I have posted some of your pics in TB's "Dancing in the Streets" thread in the Photography Forum. Check 'em out. This one captures the anticipation perfectly.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 17; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb