Vernissage.....again


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia » West » Yerevan
October 21st 2012
Published: October 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 2 October 2012

We had arranged to meet Hasmik after breakfast. We took the circular road route to Vernissage - Moskovan which turns into Kanjian Street. It was turning into another hot day so we tended to hug the shade. Apparently, we have been really lucky with the weather. The temperatures in this Armenian autumn have been higher than a typical English summer.

Vernissage was a very scaled down version of the weekend market. Probably, a tenth of the size. Despite that, we managed to get what we came for which was an achievement. It really helps to have a local person with you to help with the negotiations. A quick drink at Smokey Ribs - good wifi here, we made our way to the metro.

I never managed to go on the metro on my last visit, mostly because there was no reason to. It is only one line linking the north and south of the city. We were heading for the covered market to buy some fresh vegetables and dried fruits. Hasmik knew a really good place to buy the dried fruits from which we were buying to bring back to the UK. The hunt for tomatoes was an interesting one. We must have gone to ever stall - Hasmik sniffed every tomato, even getting the stall holders to cut them open to see what they were like inside. The tomatoes are so red and juicy here. The ones back home just aren't the same - they just don't get enough sun.

Once we'd done everything we took a taxi to Jingolav Hats. The cafe that sells the herb bread that originates from Karabagh. It wasn't as nice as the ones we had previously but still a pretty good fast food. Apparently, McDonald's failed in Armenia because people here prefer their own type of foods. Very heartening to hear.

Our flat was behind the cafe so we parted with Hasmik who needed to get home and ready for her work as a dentist. We had a little bit of a siesta, trudging around in the heat takes it out of you, before preparing our evening meal - green beans cooked in a garlic and fresh tomato sauce. Together with a rice pilaf, we had a very nice dinner topped off with the rest of our wine and a glug of vodka. I'm really getting into drinking neat vodka - the one we have is apricot, which is very nice. We always eat on the balcony where we can watch the antics of the drivers who cannot park to save their lives. We are constantly amazed at how rubbish they are.

Which brings me on to parkies. Everywhere you go in Armenia where people are parking, there is someone who 'helps' the drivers. We haven't quite worked out exactly what they do - identify where spaces are maybe, but they get tips. Saro must have been particularly generous when we were in Ijevan as the parkie wanted to kiss him! We have no idea if parkies are official or self appointed but they are definitely national treasures.

To round off the evening we went to the cascades, walking to the top so we could have a view of the city at night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb