Hurry Up and Wait


Advertisement
Afghanistan's flag
Asia » Afghanistan » East » Kabul
August 19th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: UN Transport 330 secs
It's a life of excitement here in Kabul during the National Election. The UN had decided to 'shut-down' things until any (shall we say?) activities have calmed down and the streets are safe enough to drive our armoured Toyoto Landcruiser to the airport. Thus, I sit in my hotel room, staring at the antenna spikes of TV Hill and counting the hours until I can go downstairs and have some dinner.

Monday was the last day of campaigning, although the ballots were not to be cast until Thursday. I expect this is designed to ensure plenty of time be available for vote tampering, intimidation, and general nonsense. For example, the Independent Election Commission has limited funds and has no contingency available to facilitate a recall election. (A recall election is constitutionally required if any one of the presidential candidates dies. There are 35 candidates.) As well, fraudulent voter registration cards were available for $10 and the Taliban has threatened to cut off fingers, hands, feet, ears, etc. of anyone who votes at all.

Over the course of the week, there were small incidences, including rocket attacks on the Presidential palace and a truck bombing of and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) convoy about a mile away from the airport. Tuesday, an IED was loaded in a wheelbarrow and detonated near a local bank. Our understanding is that all of the suspects were killed, except for one (arrested.) And a gun battle was waged between one of the main candidates security forces and the Afghanistan Police. So far, more than 20 people have been killed and many others injured. So far.

Nevertheless, everyone carries on with their day-to-day routine. The unrest is acknowledged, the victims are mourned, and life....goes on.

Note: The attached video is taken on the 18th, the last day of campaigning. We travel along Jalalabad Road onto a connector street to our hotel. There are police (as usual) at every major intersection, and locals driving, riding, shopping, and selling as usual. Look for: wedding (2:00), police (2:48), blue burka (3:37), donkey carts (4:20), graveyard...behind the fruit stand(4:35). (Sorry about the video quality, it was reduced for download.)

Cheers,

Jay

Advertisement



24th August 2009

great video.
Such contrasts in modern to poverty. Makes me think of Gaza. Looks hot!
24th August 2009

Different
Thanks for the video, and the blog, Jay. It is bizarre that life there seems to be elements of life there that is so "normal" and resembling ours, yet the culture is diametrically different. btw, there is some static in the vid; can you edit this out and I'll watch it again...-) Keep it coming, eh!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb