Cape Horn and Antarctica


Advertisement
Antarctica
February 17th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys and Gals - we had an absolutely glorious day of scenic cruising yesterday in the vicinity of the U.S. Palmer Research Station on Amberes Island, part of the Antarctic Penninsula which extends northward toward the South end of Argentina (Terra del Fuego) where Magellan saw fires set by the natives as he rounded the southern tip. I believe we sailed as far south as 66 degrees S. Lat. near the Antarctic Circle and today are proceeding out of the Gerlache Straits toward Deception Island in the Shetlands where we will be tonight.

A really big treat was to have a visiting delegation of scintists and support staff from the Palmer Station come out to the ship in Zodiac Boats to the PRINSENDAM (which they called the Big City) to give us a briefing on their activities. The US Antarctic Program ( www.usap.gov ) and Raytheon Industries collaborate to support grant-funded research activities at Palmer, McMurdo and S. Pole Stations. McMurdo is the largest station with 1200 personnel and is supplied from Christ Church, New Zealand. Palmer has 45 personnel, on-base research labs, full internet service and rotating crews of scientists (eg. biologists to study birdlife, populations, etc.) Support staff keep in touch with other International Stations, for example losing to the Ukraines in Internet Chess).

A lot of young people and grad students here seeming to enjoy their experience. It is not all work -- they go boating in the Zodiacs and practice ice-climbing in the glacier cravasses. They are all commited to doing research which will protect this pristene environment for future generations. They are specifically monitoring the impact of climate change factors and the receding ice on the local penguin population and other wildlife. All stations are converting to windmills as much as possible to generate electricity, but Solar is touch and go with periodic overcasts.

Today, fur and crab-eater seals were spotted from the ship and schools of penguins come out to inspect us from time to time. At lunch, two hump-back whales breached right near our window, providing an awesome show for us. Other ships are in the area and visit the stations of their respective countries and we got a close look at a Russian ship and research station along the way.

One footnote for John is that my new Duluth Trading Jacket is keeping me nice and warm and I couldn't help wondering whether Duluth shouldn't be designing and testing cold weather gear down here. We miss you all and hope to have lots of pictures to show you on our return (in addition to those on Cindy's Blog). Cindy's Amarillis is still growing -- about 10 inches tall. Love to all, Bruce and Cindy


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb