Day 5 - Saturday


Advertisement
Antarctica » Temp
October 29th 2005
Published: October 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Morning... Musee Cluny, Pantheon and McDonalds!

We finally slept in past 7am! We headed down to breakfast around 8:30am, the latest morning so far! The headed off to the Musee d' Cluny, home of the Unicorn Tapestries! There is also supposed to be a garden set in a medival style based on the tapestries, but I don't know that we found it. There was a garden out front, but who knows... The building was cool, very medival. We headed down the street to the Pantheon. The inside was really cool, the largest pendulum in the world hangs from the top of the dome. We debated on walking up the 206 stairs to the top of the dome, and finally caved in and did it. Yes, it was worth it, got some great shots. But we whined about it none the less! We headed back to the metro, but at this point we were all kind of hungry, so we stopped in a McDonalds so Kelley could get a Royale au fromage!

Afternoon... Napolean's tomb

We hoped back on the metro and headed to the Hotel des Invalides - Eglise d'dome - and Napolean's tomb. Jenn and I climbed up on a cannon so Kelley could take a picture of us and we ended up getting shoed off by the police/security guards. So we packed up the cameras and headed inside the building. Talk about little man complex! The monument was amazing, the thing was huge inside! Supposidly he is buried inside 6 caskets - no not in pieces, like the little russian nesting dolls. Anyway, after getting our fill we walked to the Opera Garnier - home of the phantom of the opera. We tried to get tickets to a performance, but they were all sold out. So we checked out the opera house and headed back to the louvre. Stopping at a wine store and buying some absinthe.

The Louvre, once again, and the Arc du Triomphe

I opted to go shopping and meet up with them when the museum closed. I got my glass Eiffel tower w/light up stand, but the stand plug is wrong for American plugs. I found a writing pen, that was also a lighter, so I bought it for our resident chain smoker, kelley. We met back up and ate upstairs in the little food court at the Louvre. I had sushi, which was pretty good. We made the very long, long, long walk down the Champs-elsyee to the Arc du Triomphe... Totally looked closer than it was! We then walked up the 284 stairs to the top. Huffing and puffing to the point where we didn't admire the view at first, just sat down and tried to breathe. Once we caught our breathe, we checked out the view... Gorgeous, you can totally understand why the champs-elysee is called the river of diamonds and rubies. We cheated and took the lift back down to the bottom and headed back to the hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.017s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.6kb