Climbed It...Loved It


Advertisement
Antarctica » Temp
December 12th 2005
Published: September 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Slept in. Awake at 10am. Headed in to the city again and to the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb. We are on the 12.05 climb. It takes three hours but that isn’t all climbing. Firstly you sign an information sheet for them and have a breath test. Then you are given the most unflattering gray boiler suit. We had too get caps and hankies and everything is attached by clips so you can’t drop them. Apparently it can cause damage to cars! There were 12 people in our group we walked along the underside of the bridge. The mesh can be seen through and it is a long way to the ground. Climbed the ladders and you come up between the traffic. It is a weird experience. After that bit it is so much easier on the curve of the bridge. We all walked to the summit all the time Tony our guide explaining the building and what we could see. One guy on our climb had a phobia of heights. He climbed the whole way and it was a bit emotional for the group with everyone congratulating him. It was great to be there at that time. Tony, our group leader, had a fantastic sense of humour and was a fountain of knowledge about the bridge, its construction and the area around it. Got some photos of the climb and after 3 1/2 hours I have successfully climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Took the ferry to Darling Harbour and to the aquarium. Very interesting. Crocodiles and penguins (not in the same pen!), seals and sharks. One of the sting rays wing span was as long as my outstretched arms. Went to the top of the Skytower. It is 250 metres (820 feet) above the ground. The view from the bridge was great but this was fanastic. You get a 360o view and we were there in the evening so you could see the lights coming on.Also did the OZ Trek ride. It is a film interactive ride. Takes you around Australia. Walked down to Mrs Macquaries Point. Took photos of Opera House and Bridge at night. Walked back to Woolloomooloo. Had a couple of beers at The bell Pub. Watched Sydney FC get beaten in the football and England heading to a lose in the cricket. Walking back to the hotel stopped at Harry’s Café de Wheels for a chicken pie and cheese sauce. Sat on the waters edge with a couple of ducks. Really cute. Walked back to hotel and bed by 12.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb