More photos...


Advertisement
Antarctica » Antarctica » McMurdo Station
November 21st 2007
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

More photos for your viewing pleasure!... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Bowling!Bowling!
Bowling!

We had a Carp Shop bowling night at the 1961 2-lane bowling alley. The pins have to be set in the machine by hand so the 2 setters wear tall brightly striped socks so no one bowls at them while they're picking up the pins. The lanes are original but they're much shorter and more warped than normal, which throws in a whole extra strategy to the game! It was installed during the Navy's Operation Deep Freeze and we wont sell it, despite the Smithsonian's repeated requests!
The Carp Shop!The Carp Shop!
The Carp Shop!

Notice the cut-out that says "191" on the top right- my boss claims that's the only polar bear in Antarctica...
The MattracksThe Mattracks
The Mattracks

I learned how to drive one of these. The speedometer says you're going 3 times faster than you actually are!
A friendly Carp Shop game of Butt RachetA friendly Carp Shop game of Butt Rachet
A friendly Carp Shop game of Butt Rachet

You each try to jerk the strap so the other person falls over or lets go. Apparently this is a popular game at deep field camps where there's NOTHING ELSE TO DO!
Caution Yellow BoxCaution Yellow Box
Caution Yellow Box

I've spent a lot of time painting boxes in the Carp Shop. Hopefully soon I will learn how to build the boxes I will be painting. That's about 90% of the stuff we build- outhouse boxes, supply boxes, shipping boxes, fishing hut boxes, etc. My coworkers are amazing. This one is destined for the runway where they'll use it forklift stuff onto airplanes...



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb