Day 1 to Khama Rhino Sanctuary


Advertisement
Africa
August 18th 2012
Published: August 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

September holiday 2012
Day 1 Home to Khama rhino sanctuary Woke up at 4:30 as we still had a few things to pack. We were on the road before 5:30. The drive to the border was long and fairly uneventful. The car was handling the heavy trailer really well. At the border on the south African side was simple and no hassle and quick. The Botswana border was a fairly different story. There were a few people and not enough forms for people to fill in. But after 30 mins or so we were through and just in the nick of time as there was a large group of people to arrive just behind us. As you are about to clear the border they want to check if you are bringing fruit and uncooked meat with. When it was our turn we realized that the lock for the fridge was different to the keys we had... But luckily enough we had a 'nice' border post guard and she let us through without opening anything, and thank goodness as we did have some fruit. There was a lady in front of us,they had fruit, and it was confiscated: a few apples, a butternut and gem squash; And being a south African she was very unimpressed and drove away looking pissed off. After we left the border we had to exchange some Rand to Pula. Fuel is cheaper here which is a good thing. After a lengthy drive we arrived at Khama Rhino sanctuary and man what a place! The campsites are large and spread out so as not to be ontop of another person. The ablution blocks had stunning showers with hot water, which after a long day was amazing to feel clean. We had a braai for supper and a BIG bottle of wine. We settled in for a freezing nite.Advice for the day: do what ever you need to (number 1 or 2) do it before you leave. you never know when you get your next opportunity or how clean it will be. Adrian's quote for the day: at border post 'less brain function than a dead monkey'.

Advertisement



22nd August 2012

Thanks for the update - seems to be working well - wait for the next one
22nd August 2012

Monkeys?...
Come on guys, monkies are intelligent and work hard to feed themselves, apart from that, they are amusing (AND NOT ANNOYING) to watch. Bon voyage and don't influence Adrian too much - you know the saying "bad company corrupts good character"
23rd August 2012
UploadedFile0

Great holiday
Your blog is great, really enjoying following your adventures. Hope to see some more photos soon.
24th August 2012

Showe must work well all looking shiny clean.

Tot: 0.717s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb