Eritrea.... A destination which is off the beaten track!


Advertisement
Africa
November 13th 2011
Published: November 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Asmara, formerly known as Asmera, meaning “Made them United” in Tigrigna, the national language, is the capital city of Eritrea, in East Africa.

When Eritrea was occupied by the Italians in 1889, Asmara was made the capital in preference to Massawa by Governer Martini in 1897. During the Italian colonial rule, architecturally conservative early 20th century Europeans used Asmara with radical new designs. Leaving today’s city with a major part of the buildings of Italian origin, and many still with Italian names (ie. Bar Vittoria, Pasticceria Moderna, Casa del Formaggio, and Ferramenta).

After the Italians came the British, from 1941 to 1952, during which time many of the industries were shipped out to alternative colonies like India and Kenya. And from the late forties hostilities started towards the British. However, in 1952 The United Nations stepped in and resolved to federate the former colony under Ethiopian rule, making Addis Ababa the new capital, until 1991 when Eritrea was once again declared independent.

The city lies at an altitude of 2350 meters above sea level, and boosts a somewhat rare version of a steppe climate with warm, but not hot, summers and mild winters. And I must admit the climate is absolutely fabulous all year round! In only 3 hours by car you are at the seaside city of Massawa, located opposite Yemen, where you can find the heat of any well known Red Sea Resort, without the hordes of tourists.

Definately a destination which is off the beaten track, but with a spirit of adventure one which needs to be visited. Lived there for 3 years and although we had our moments, in which country don’t you? Over all I enjoyed it and have some very fond memories!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0987s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb