Road To Rukwa: Day 8


Advertisement
Africa
September 25th 2011
Published: September 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post



We were heading into the village of Nayaneyre (Neye-yawn-yair-ree). Here, we met with the local officials as we do with every episode we do. Following that we were off to the Nkasi District Hospital to interview the woman who oversees the Family Reproductive Unit.

We went to the clinic where the local women come to for check-ups, birth control, etc.

There is a story of a young woman in the Nkasi region who was expecting. She went into labour but would not leave her home to go to the hospital because her husband had not given her permission to do so. He was in the next village. The neighbours started to worry and went to the village leader to get his permission for her to go. He gave it. She went to the hospital and everything turned out fine.... But this is the kind of thing that happens here. Most women are not really independent thinkers. They are very submissive to their husbands.

In the late afternoon, we headed back to Kipili. We took a boat across Lake Tanganyeka to an island called “Lupito”. On this island is an exclusive resort. It is rumoured that Arnold Schwartzenegger is an investor in the property. There are 13 villas, each more private than the next. The website for the resort is www.firelightexpeditions.com. It is a gorgeous place, overlooking the Lake. My co-workers were blown away that a place like this exists. The price blew them away even more... $1700.00 per night (USD). Which equals approximately 2.3 million Tanzanian Shillings a night. Needless to say, none of us will be staying there anytime soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb