Road To Rukwa - Day 2


Advertisement
Africa
September 15th 2011
Published: September 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post


We woke in Mbeya and got on the road at about 1030AM. According to the map, the trip would be approximately 350 km. Well, on good roads, it would have taken three and a half hours... Let’s just say the first 150 km were on paved roads. In fact, we went right down to the border crossing to Zambia. The traffic was crazy and that is where the pavement ended.

For approximately 220km we travelled to Sumbawanga on dirt roads... and not just dirt roads you would find going to the cottage, but dirt roads that have been a part of the region’s history. It took us 7 hours to get here... and what a trip! The scenery was amazing. The houses along the road were made of brick for the most part.

The communities we drove by were collections of houses, open fields and goats all over the road. The government is working on the highway, but they say it could be another 3 years before they get it finished. When they do, it will open up this part of the country.

I came to Tanzania to see as much of it as possible, and this trip certainly gave me another perspective on how the Tanzanians live. Dar es Salaam is a cosmopolitan Mecca compared to where we are.

It isn’t the pictures from the National Geographic magazines we saw as kids, but it is primitive to say the least.

We arrived at the Serengeti Resort Lodge (sounds fancy, doesn’t it? It’s not) and we will make this home for four or five nights while we shoot our first episode on Male Circumcision. It is believed that if a man gets circumcised, it will reduce his chances of contracting HIV/AIDS by 60%, and therefore, slimming the chances of spreading it to his wife/wives or girlfriend/girlfriends. Walter Reade Hospital, out of Washington, D.C., is behind this initiative. It’s a very different world here, but also some very interesting stuff going on in terms of research and help.

We are eating well. Diet is more of fish, wapiti, cooked bananas, greens, etc. For dinner I had “Chips My Eye” which is really just eggs cooked with French fries in them. Again, it’s not Canada, but then again, if I wanted the comforts of home, I should have stayed there!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Serengeti Park LodgeSerengeti Park Lodge
Serengeti Park Lodge

Don't miss the wild animals hiding in the bushes
My Hotel roomMy Hotel room
My Hotel room

They like to keep the beds out from the walls... I don't know why.
My ToiletMy Toilet
My Toilet

I've only heard about these ones!


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb