My First Safari


Advertisement
Africa
July 27th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

My First Safari:

Before we left Morogoro, we had a free day. A small group took off into the mountains to hike.
Our group, rented a private bus and went off to the Mikumi National Park, about 90 minutes out of
the city. It is the fourth largest National Park in Tanzania after the Serengeti, Ruaha, and Kavati. Mikumi is 3230 square kilometres. For those who want to travel here, you can camp in tents in the park. A Park ranger will stay the night with you to keep the animals away. Our guide told us, it is not uncomoon to find a lion staring at you through the bushes, or have a rhino walk through the campsite while you are in your tents. Yikes!!! If you aren’t that adventurous, they also offer cabins for you to stay in.

We left the convent at 5AM and travelled through the darkness. As the sun was rising, we arrived at the park. From there it was a four hour drive seeing giraffes, zebras, wildebeests, baboons, hippos, and elands, elephants, and countless other creatures. We never saw lions. They are elusive and the heat of the day had they lying low somewhere off the beaten path.

I am told that this is not the best place for safari, but it was a wonderful introduction to what is here for us to admire. The landscape is breathtaking and there was some new to marvel at around every bend in the road.

A friend from Toronto, Lenny Landa, said to me, “You will be doing things on your weekend that people are hoping to do as their trip of a lifetime.” Nothing could be truer.

I hope you enjoy the pics….



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



27th July 2011

WOWOWOWOW
Bob, Amazing pictures and yes, what an astonishing way to spend a weekend! Love, Wats
14th August 2011

Pics
i see you've lost some weight!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb