...and Buffalo


Advertisement
Africa
June 7th 2010
Published: June 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Botswana


As promised, here are pictures relating to my previous blog entry on Zambia and Zimbabwe. Enjoy.

Since then I spent two days in the Okavango Delta, an area of the Kalahari Desert in which 18 billion cubic metres of water flood in to every year. The time was spent floating around in a mokoro, a canoe dug out of a sausage tree, seeing elephants, hippos and giraffe. The night was spent deep in the Delta, where I spent the night listening to lions growl, hyenas cry and hippos grunt. From the camp sight I went on some wild walks. We tracked a lion but to no avail. In doing so however, we stumbled across a herd (is that right word?) of buffalo and were face to face with them a distance of 30 metres. The guide told me that if they charged at us then I should run up a tree. If there was no tree then I was to lie on the ground. We stared at each other for about one minute before, thankfully, the herd turned an ran in the opposite direction, the ground shaking as they went. The noise and energy was tremendous and my heart actualy started to beat again.

I have since come down to Gaberone, the capital of Botswana, which is just a few kilometers from the South African border. We are all set for the World Cup. The build-up on SuperSport, the main South African sports channel, has been immense and now the nerves are jangling.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

BenjaniBenjani
Benjani

With me and Ryan
SchoolgirlSchoolgirl
Schoolgirl

Fancy dress for the Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka cricket international. Unfortunately it was rained off, hence the face.
Spot the elephantSpot the elephant
Spot the elephant

In the Okavango Delta with some Belgian friends
An elephant's footprintAn elephant's footprint
An elephant's footprint

Bigger than mine


29th June 2010
Showering

oh i love it.i should have done the same when i was done there;-)!

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb