CWB Kenya Day 10


Advertisement
Africa
April 5th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 10 (Monday - Bank Holiday) -

Left RVSC and headed for the Menegai High School approx 5 minutes drive away - Davis our driver seems to like hitting the speed bumps at a good speed rather than slowing down! We were told to expect 200 kids but when we arrived we were greeted by approx 50 kids which at first was disappointing but still very worthwhile and was great fun for all!

The coaches paired up as follows: -

Tom (Moley) and Andy (Griff the talker)
Neil (Mystery Man/cheat) and Mick (the Aussie)
Mike (CWB Project Leader and Headmaster) and Richard (Doc Kimber from The Fugitive)

We were given our groups and had 2 and a half hours to put them through their paces - fielding, batting and bowling ready for a final competition at the end which saw the three groups compete against each other.

The teams were Choowie - Swahili for Leopard (Neil and Mick), Nakuru Nike Ninjas (Tom and Andy) and Nakuru Washindi (Mike and Kimber). Anyway the competition started with all three groups having a go at the front foot drive through targets, bowling at the stumps and a catching relay. The points were totaled at the end and Team Choowie were the winners of both the bowling and the batting (and overall - ED) whilst it was a tame draw for the catching between Nakuru Nike Ninjas and Nakuru Washindi!!!

As ever Neil the Mystery Man was over competitive and tried every way to take shortcuts - moving the targets areas, moving the stumps closer to the bowlers, including drop catches in the totals and shouting the loudest - typical Manc! (Needed to take a leaf from the book of his team mate - the sporting/fair Aussie)

The session finished at around 1pm and we headed back to base RVSC - Rift Valley Sports Club - which can only be described as an original Butlin's Holiday Camp with a Cricket Ground attached to it - but very nice for our stay.

We entered the field of dreams to have an hour of team bonding and now that Claire had left the male testosterone stepped up a few notches. Banter was flying from all angles and so we decided to have our own game of Kwik Cricket - most of us took it in good gest and played either defensive shots or tried to get out. NOT Kimber he held his bat from start to finish and waited for a the crowd applause which didn't come! Let's just say - Kimber doesn't like to lose! Tom was a huge candidate for a bat/pad catch, demonstrated by the Aussie who took a stunner at short leg, Mick was also the most boring batsmen, Rich was bit slow at getting back into his crease and was subsequently run out by a quick thinking Tom. Neil bowled some nice finger spinners, and Mike (the old pro) showed us what he was made of, all class! I (AG) struggled to field anything that didn't come straight to me!!

By for now!

AG


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



5th April 2010

the bloggers are on fire!
Well, one day I don't check my emails and end up with reading 4 days worth of blog! Well done - except you are really struggling with photos, aren't you? I can't believe that you are now all male team. the standards must be shocking... anyway, it seems like you are having a great time and doing an excellent job. Keep going. Say hi to Africa... Veronika
8th April 2010

Love your...
work team! Keep it up. The nicknames are gold :-) Say hi to Davis for me!!!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb